The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Modern slaves > Comments

Modern slaves : Comments

By Elaine Pearson and Eleanor Taylor-Nicholson, published 17/10/2007

Australia lags behind in our human rights approach to human trafficking.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
There is an enormous of "modern" slavery in Australia, and it is called CSA.

The child is taken from the father, and then the father is forced to work at the same rate and forced to maintain their present income for many years.

If they were working weekends or working a 60 hour week, then they have to keep working weekends or working 60 hr weeks, and they may have to do that for over a decade.

There may be other forms of slavery occurring in Australia, but they would be minimal in comparison.
Posted by HRS, Wednesday, 17 October 2007 11:55:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That's new knowledge to me that victims of forced slavery would be incarcerated if they did not cooperate, and then footed with the bill. I just don't get that.

Well done Elaine and Eleanor for bringing this to our attention.

HRS

Inappropriate comments. This is not your moment.
Posted by Liz, Thursday, 18 October 2007 9:59:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Liz,
My comments are very appropriate, and much more appropriate then some of the language you have used in your posts.

If someone is forced to work overtime, or forced to earn the same income year after year, without their agreement, then that is slavery.

And there are many thousands of fathers in this country in that position. Their children have been taken from them without their agreement, and then they are forced to work overtime or work long hours, again without their agreement.

That is the most common form of slavery in this country.
Posted by HRS, Friday, 19 October 2007 9:14:23 AM
Your comments, ridiculous as they are, are not related to the article.
Posted by Liz, Friday, 19 October 2007 7:54:21 PM
HRS,
Liz is correct, your comments are not related to this article. If you google slavery you will get more information.

I think you are passionate about rough deals some separated fathers get, so why not start discussion in the general section on that matter.
Posted by Banjo, Saturday, 20 October 2007 8:58:14 AM
Liz and Banjo,
It may be politically incorrect to call it slavery, but it is slavery.

If someone is forced to earn the same income or more year after year, or forced to work long hours, and if they don’t, then they can be eventually put in jail, then that is slavery.

And there have been cases of people working very long hours, and they were highly physically and mentally stressed by it, but they were ordered by a judge to keep working those hours.

However this slavery is hidden behind the term “Child Support”.

I doubt very much if human trafficking is occurring in this country, but there is a lot of slavery.
Posted by HRS, Sunday, 21 October 2007 10:47:53 AM
HRS: "I doubt very much if human trafficking is occurring in this country, but there is a lot of slavery."

Did you actually read the artcle? Liz and Banjo are correct - your irrelevant comments bear no relation to the article about trafficking in humans.

If you want to have yet another whinge about CSA, why don't you do as Banjo suggests and start your own thread in the General section instead of hijacking this unrelated one?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Sunday, 21 October 2007 10:58:12 AM
C, J Morgan
I have noticed that if I post onto a forum, then you will inevitably follow with some derogatory comment. But of course this does not make you into some type of sleazy, slimy, seedy stalker, because that would not be your style.

The article identifies slavery or exploitation as “may take a number of forms from slavery, to forced labour or debt bondage, to sexual exploitation.”

I would think that this would characterise the child support system entirely, where the father is indebted without their agreement or consent, and then forced to work and pay money, but they have no say in how that money is spent.

That is slavery.

The article also says that only 100 people are trafficked into Australia each year. I would think that is about right, and the restrictions placed on illegal immigration has helped limit human trafficking.

But the actual amount of slavery inside the country is much greater.
Posted by HRS, Sunday, 21 October 2007 2:21:37 PM
TO C J MORGAN PLEASE PUT THIS IN YOUR POLLS I AM A FORGOTTEN AUSTRALIAN ,WE WERE THE ONES THAT WERE RAPED AND ABUSED BY THE GOVERMENT STAFF EMPLOYEES OF THE STATES RUN INSTITUTIONS ORPHANAGES, GIRLS HOMES, BOYS HOMES ,REMAND CENTRES, FOSTER HOMES AND OUT OF HOME CARE , THE GOVERMENT OF AUSTRALIA IS COVERING UP THE RAPES AND ABUSE AND THE HORRIFFIC SODIMISSATION BY THESE PEDOPHILES THAT WORKED FOR THE GOVERMENT IN THESE INSTITUTIONS YOU SHOULD READ THE SENATE INQUIRIES AUGUST 2004,MARCH 2005, LOOK UP DARUK BOYS HOME , AND OTHER INSTITUTIONS, GO TO A SITE CALLED KOCKYPRIC.COM AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT HAS HAPPEND TO A PERSON WHEN THEY FIGHT FOR JUSTICE AND GET TOLD TO SHUT UP AND STOP THE FIGHT WELL SORRY IM NOT STOPPING MY FIGHT FOR JUSTICE ,AND YES THAT IS ME LAYING ON LIFE SURPORT ,THE GOVERMENT IS PROTECTING THESE PEDOPHILES WHETHER IT IS LIBERAL OR LABOUR THEY BOTH ARE COVERING UP AS TO WHAT HAPPEND TO US VICTIMS THE FORGOTTEN AUSTRALIANS, WE WERE THESE PEDOPHILES SLAVES AND WERE MADE TO BE SLAVES AS WELL AS BEING RAPED BY THESE DIRTY FILTHY BARSTARDS , THIS IS REAL AND TRUE , KIND REGARDS MICHEAL
Posted by huffnpuff, Sunday, 21 October 2007 8:41:59 PM
HRS: "I have noticed that if I post onto a forum, then you will inevitably follow with some derogatory comment. But of course this does not make you into some type of sleazy, slimy, seedy stalker, because that would not be your style."

Whatever you say, Timk... HRS.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Sunday, 21 October 2007 8:56:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy