The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Two bars in control > Comments

Two bars in control : Comments

By Tara Brabazon, published 17/10/2007

In remembering the greatest songs of the last 25 years, few can claim a moment of creative genius like Joy Division's Ian Curtis.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Snore. Standard "rock journalism". The only thing missing was the word "seminal".

History is written by the winners. But the history of rock is written by the losers.
Posted by Old Order, Wednesday, 17 October 2007 4:07:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I’m highly impressed by the poetic descriptions contained in this piece, such as “a broken down rooster in a jumpsuit”, and “with a face like the worn tread of a Doc Marten boot”.

How completely non-abusive, and I wonder if the author would like the same to be said about her.

But it reminds me of the time I lodged a complaint with a radio station after their announcer said that the “Wiggles” were “past it” and “no longer spunky”.

My complaint was that the music of the “Wiggles” was the most important thing, not their age or their looks.
Posted by HRS, Wednesday, 17 October 2007 4:08:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This article makes a great change from the regular. My pick for the song of the last 25 years is 'Hurt' by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails. Not his version however, but the Johnny Cash version. Cash understands these lyrics in a way that Trent does not, and kills me whenever I hear it. A great lament, an existential cry, a heart rending few minutes.

And a beautiful video to accompany the song.

Kylies na na na na na na na is a highpoint in pop music of the last 20 years- close to perfect pop and the equal of anything The Archies ever did.

In Oz, Dave McComb and the GoBs and more recently The Drones have created great, great songs in this time.
Posted by palimpsest, Wednesday, 17 October 2007 6:35:46 PM
I am with you Palimpsest. Hurt covered by J Cash is one of the most outstanding songs of the last 25 years. Gillian Welch 'The Revelator' is prob my all time fav song. I would love someone to introduce me to something that tops that!
Posted by bfg, Wednesday, 17 October 2007 11:45:00 PM
Palimpset - you took the words right outta my mouth: great to have an article like this - though the inclusion even of the thought of The Wiggles (?) into the thread shows that this is obviously not the start of a trend.

Music being as subjective as it is its a mammoth task to choose the absolute best but still...Robbie Williams?

Have never considered those three little bars in quite the same light as gone into here and would have thought, if we're talking such technicalities, that Wuthering Heights had it all over Love Will Tear Us Apart. But then Kate isn't exactly a dance music kinda gal.

For my money, just about any track from The Streets first album would be one of the greatest songs to come out of the last 25 years which, I have to agree with the author, is not exactly a stella period. And if we are going to talk technicalities the broken rhythms, the infusion of British rap, the mysticism of the language on, say the first track, ... there's been nothing to touch it.
Posted by Romany, Thursday, 18 October 2007 12:13:44 AM
bfg, Revalator is one of my favorites too. Also love Dear Someone from the same album, think of it as a modern lullaby. The record is a beaut: EP Blues and Ruination Day/April the 14th, My First Lover and Everything is Free. All fantastic songs. And great live.

Kate Bush was cute, but the country gals Lucinda Williams, Gillian, Shelby Lynne and EmmyLou blow all other female contenders out of the water in the recent past.

Robbie Williams? Stickytape on a ducks arse.
Posted by palimpsest, Thursday, 18 October 2007 5:43:44 AM
See how FOUR CHORDS are in control of what we often think is great popular music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s13sASS5F4

This is a good example /critique of how the Western music scale reinforced the concept of spacial and musical harmony being related and the belief that the harmony of the entire universe was inherent in the mystical power of numbers.

Now is anyone going to refer to Kylie? If not how unAustralian!
Posted by Rainier, Thursday, 18 October 2007 9:08:56 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
HRS leaps to the defence of the Wiggles. Clearly a musical connoisseur.

Just as well Bananarama hung up their platform soles years ago - but they're women, aren't they?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 18 October 2007 9:31:17 AM
C J Morgan
The Wiggles are an Australian icon, and a part of Australian modern culture.

In fact, given a choice between listening to Robbie Williams, and listening to the Wiggles, then I would prefer the Wiggles.

Considering the selection of British bands available, then my personal preferences would be Massive Attack followed by the Spice Girls.

But you may be different.
Posted by HRS, Thursday, 18 October 2007 12:06:18 PM
bfg, not for everyone but up there with Gillian Welch, off 'All Is Dream' by Mercury Rev 'You're My Queen'. Josh Rouse and 'Miracle'? Cash's version of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face'?
Posted by palimpsest, Friday, 19 October 2007 8:04:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy