The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Textploitation - political correctness for students > Comments

Textploitation - political correctness for students : Comments

By Ben-Peter Terpstra, published 5/10/2007

History wars: our students are encouraged to marinate in the West’s sin.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All
In the 70’s, as an undergrad believing in equal rights for women (indeed for all), I joined a feminist group. However, I found some of their ideas increasingly ludicrous, and left. A number of feminists emulated the very things they damned about men. Being married with children, and refusing to wear bib’n’brace overalls with men’s singlets, and go bra-less, I was on the outer. However, I did have a good friend, intelligent and reasonable; she had a tattoo on her shoulder of a sickle with testicles dangling from it.

Later, when Keating did a sweet-heart deal with a Catholic Independent member from Tasmania, the condition being that no birth-control teaching nor birth-control methods be sent to third-world countries, not one feminist group spoke out. Keating was their darling. This was a terrible betrayal of what feminism was supposed to represent.

The result was that maternal mortality, obstetric fistula, and still-births rocketed in these countries; especially among child wives.

From the Fistula Foundation.
“Less than 6 in 10 women in developing countries give birth with any trained professional, such as a midwife or a doctor.  In Ethiopia, only 1 in 10 women have a trained attendant.  When complications arise, as they do in approximately 15% of all births, there is no one available to treat the woman, leading to disabling injuries like fistula, and even death.”
http://www.fistulafoundation.org/aboutfistula/faqs.html

An obstetric fistula is a rupture in the birth canal, the result of prolonged labour, leaving girls/women with chronic bowel and bladder incontinence; they are isolated from their villages; even hospitals will turn them away. Invariably the baby is stillborn.
Posted by Danielle, Wednesday, 24 October 2007 7:27:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
cont ...

A gay friend described the latest feminist workshop. They painted pictures with their menstrual blood - each had brought her own collected in a container. One supposes, a post-menopausal woman could paint from a younger woman’s jar ... surely they don’t practice ageism.

When I was younger, political correctness, would have fallen under courtesy and consideration for another’s feelings; indeed, accepting the other as equal, whatever race, religion, etc ...

Political correctness can be “innocently” offensive. I was outraged at being corrected by a colleague, that I was “vertically challenged”, not “small” as I had stated.

Many deaf do not consider themselves “challenged”; they regard “learning to lip-read/ speak” as learning a different language. To say they are “challenged” is to get a rapid response of many hand-signs - the meaning only all too clear. Indeed, a culture exists among a few, that it is a “sell out” to learn to lip-read/speak.

Political correctness appears to be a sacred sanctum, the adherents of which ignore reality, time and place. I regret to say, “expediency” comes readily to mind, and as for historical facts ..
Posted by Danielle, Wednesday, 24 October 2007 7:29:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What's with the "Whitesville sucks" caper, baby?
Ow! That's a bring down, man! A real drag!
What's your story?

Whitesville's the utmost.

Whitesville gave us the Enlightenment. What a gas!

Whitesville gave us Democracy. The living end!

Whitesville gave us the Industrial Revolution. Outta sight!

That's the kind of scene that I dig, baby.

Isaac Newton. In the Groove!

Charles Darwin. Lay your racket on me, Charlie!

Florence Nightingale. She's a blip!

Henry Ford. Get in there!

Joan of Arc. She's too much!

Sigmund Freud. Nutty!

Louis Pasteur. That's a hard spiel!

Mary Shelley. She's a gasser, so help me!

Thomas Jefferson. He's got his boots on!

What a bunch of real gone cats!
Crazy, man. CRAZY!

Whitesville's where it's at.
It's what's happenin'!

It's the ginchiest!

Can ya dig it, Daddy-O?
Posted by Shockadelic, Wednesday, 31 October 2007 10:37:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy