The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Does more law mean more order? > Comments

Does more law mean more order? : Comments

By Ellen Goodman, published 21/9/2007

Politicians use the 'law and order' agenda drawing on a mythological past where all was secure and serene.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
The article is right on the mark. In the State of Queensland former Premier Joh Bjelke-Petersen was notorious, even habituated, for dredging up "law 'n' order" if his campaign looked like it was faltering, though with the gerrymander he so skillfully managed to exploit, I was never sure why he needed a surefire issue. The Nats and Libs in Queensland are the laughing stock of state politics, and a massive embarrassment to their respective federal organisations. They still trot out "law 'n' order" at every election. They treat the Qld voter, even those of the recent influx, as political cretins who've spent too long in the sun, and can be snowed by a tired old line. The federal approach to the hardening, surreptitiously & openly, of national security legislation is of real concern, especially from the civil liberties standpoint.
Posted by Gingermegs, Saturday, 22 September 2007 5:55:37 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a timely article.

Pelican, you expressed what I think very well.

What I find strange is when concern is raised about infringements on civil liberties or disquiet of tampering with long held legal principles within our legal system, which we are supposed to prefer above all other forms, accusations of left wing political bias is bandied about.

The communists, the extreme left, and the fascists, the extreme right both needed complete control of their populace to retain power. Both used the same language of fear and the need of law and order to justify laws that restrict freedoms. All to hold onto power, not to protect the citizens.

Law and order talk is all about holding onto power or attaining power.

In actual day to day life, a law on any issue which is not personally reprehensible is only a meaningful deterrent if there is a high likelihood of getting caught. That's why we all speed when there is no police on the road, people will continue to drink and drive if they can go home 'the back way', kids will continue to graffiti, but the vast majority (90%+) go to the polling booths on election day.

It is a myth the 50's and 60's where more law abiding. We just didn't have TV stations or papers trawling through every nook and cranny on our planet competing for our dollars by feeding us juicy news. We were just blissfully unaware back then.
Posted by yvonne, Saturday, 22 September 2007 6:09:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Like I said, reasonable readers generally endorse the article. On the other hand, the raving loonies seem to have problems with it.

What else would we expect?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 22 September 2007 7:27:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yvonne,

If you are my age I find your comments difficult to understand. Yes we had TV and radio then, and police rounds journalists. Now our cities are covered with graffiti, the incidence of white collar crimes and burglaries is higher, not to mention motor car thefts. Teenagers could also have a party with little risk of being murdered or stabbed forty years ago, it's the increased i;ncidence of particular crimes that is significant.
Posted by mac, Sunday, 23 September 2007 8:03:00 AM
Excellent Article.

The obscession by 'the powers that be' in Australia with creating (...no forcing) the Uber Nanny State upon its citizens is a disturbing, devisive and neo-fascist movement.

I for one as an educated, tax paying, freedom loving citizen who does not cause any harm to my fellow citizen am perfectly capable of deciding my own values thank you very much. Little Johny H-H-Howard and Bronwyn Bishop are the last people I would look to for any kind of inspiration for anything but an example of how moronic our supposed leaders are.

I can tell you that the legal status of the pills I regularly take for recreational fun has absolutely zero effect on my enthusiasm to partake in them. In fact I get a perverse enjoyment out of regularly breaking as many Nanny State laws as I desire and getting away with it 100% of the time, preaching the gospel of the freedom I feel in doing so and living a happy, successful life.

My main conscern the total waste of tax payers money on such rediculous persuits as prohibition.
Posted by Daniel06, Sunday, 23 September 2007 1:28:41 PM
Bushy... you are always saying that Aquinas benefited from the Islamic thinkers from whom Peter Abelard obtained the ideas of the Greeks.......

I'm disputing that, on the grounds that Augustine knew of Plato etc and write screeeeds about reason, faith, and doctrine.. fully aware of the things you claim we only obtained by the Muslims.

Do you understand my point now ? :)
cheers.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Sunday, 23 September 2007 2:13:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy