The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Forget the polls, ask the hard questions > Comments

Forget the polls, ask the hard questions : Comments

By Andrew Leigh, published 19/9/2007

Enough with the polls - let’s talk about the kind of Australia we want our kids to live in.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
As was recently said “We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.”

I will be happy with a country which leaves me to make my own mistakes, rather than limiting my rights and choices, then taxing me so as to employ a mindless, faceless bureaucrat to make mistakes in my name.
Posted by Col Rouge, Wednesday, 26 September 2007 11:01:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I too think Merc has said it well. The problem is Merc that most of us do nothing other than vote and blog or just vote.

Given you and others have these ideals, do you have any thoughts on how to get them installed as standard procedure?

There are at least two people on here who are trying to do something and none of you has responded to them at all.

It seems you want someone else to do the hard yards, but with your ideals. I know that Tapp has been banging his head against the walls for some time and has had virtually only abuse from this forum. But he seems to be a good man, a man who cares and wants to stand up and be counted.

The big 2 don't give a rat's about us. You know it so why do you accept it?

When you get to the voting booth who will you vote for? Right now essentially you only have 2 choices. Lib/Nat or Labor. Which one will you give your highest preference to?

It is a rare seat that other than these 2 get the nod so you are voting for the big two regardless aren't you even if you out them last and second last?

That is unless you start doing something now. It won't change how things are now but it will in the long run. Do nothing? Then say nothing.

I'll add another minor Party for you to consider. That is "What Women Want". Small and based on what it says. Anything to oppose the people who think they own you and I.

At the very least I ask you to put your first preference to anyone but the big 2. Why? Simple, the first preference gives $2+, CPI adjusted, to the Party or person with first preference. As long as they get 3% minimum vote.

Stop whining and start acting, like Tapp. Even if you don't agree with him or others they are doing what Australians should and must do. Say "Enough". And keep saying it.
Posted by pegasus, Friday, 28 September 2007 3:06:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy