The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Personal responsibility and health discrimination > Comments

Personal responsibility and health discrimination : Comments

By Mirko Bagaric, published 17/9/2007

The medical needs of fatties and smokers should prevail over the whims of misguided morally deficient medicos.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I agree somewhat with the original article, on the basis that the fit in this society seem often to have a sense of smug self-rightousness about them.

In practice, it may be that the obese researcher, the stressed smoker or the shift-working burger muncher are doing more for the country - in fact, it'd be quite possible that these people are looking after relatives or tending to patients when others are cheerfully toddling along to their gyms.

A law would be a blunt instrument, but I do suggest that people work harder at looking below the surface when judging the worth of others.
Posted by WhiteWombat, Monday, 17 September 2007 9:49:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If medical authorities are heartless enough to carry out the murder of the unborn simply for convenience then any other comparisons seem to fade.
Posted by runner, Monday, 17 September 2007 10:07:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mirko might consider how hospitals are funded. More specifically, he might ask whether treatments are funded on an average basis or according to the risk profile of the patient. Fund patients according to their risk profile and there could be no question that the decision making is purely in the patients' interest. As an example, he might examine why Jayant Patel was so popular with the Bundaberg Hospital's management. Was it his kill record or the way he looked on paper?

Then there is the question of what might successfully reduce the risk profile of the population? No, it's much easier to shoot the messenger.

Mirko's approach is a bit like giving a lumberjack a hatchet and then complaining that all he ever cuts down is saplings.

Nice hatchet job, Mirko.
Posted by Fester, Monday, 17 September 2007 10:19:17 PM
""BN - "I'M in the Gym 6days a week to burn off the calories I take in".

So you have become a fundamentalist exercise fanatic and you now want to send in the exercise police (religious police) to make sure those heretics who do not go to the gym 6days a week are refused medical treatment.

Human nature never changes.

What if you find you have damaged your joints or something in ten years time. Should you then be refused treatment because you placed all that extra strain on them.
Fat people are not always less healthy than skinny people. There are a lot of skinny people with serious health problems too.
Incidently I myself exercise for an hour three to four times a week but I dont judge myself as any less likely to have serious health problems than people who dont. It is often just the luck of the draw and genetics for some people.
People in non Western countries are regularly denied medical treatment simply because they were not born in Western countries.
Maybe as a westener it would be good if you gave up your doctors visits to someone in the third world so things would be fairer.

Having made those points I do think it is madness to smoke and I can understand the Doctors frustration at the medical problems caused by this but those same smokers would have eventually died of cancer or heart disease anyway (You have to die from something) so the cost is just being incurred soooner.
Posted by sharkfin, Monday, 17 September 2007 10:30:54 PM
If you have medical problems because you have PERSONALLY made yourself fat or you choose to smoke etc etc ad infinitum, then you have to PERSONALLY carry the consequences. You did it - you take the hit. Don't blame the doctors, blame yourself, you self indulgent prick.
Too fat? Put down the fork, get off your bum and walk occasionally. Smoker? Quit! Heavy drinker? Die, you deserve it!
Hasbeen: I believe you should duck on the AIDS issue 'cause it can come to a person more-or-less via a third or fourth party or blood transfusions. Besides that, good on ya.
Yindin: A cigarette would do you good.
Posted by enkew, Tuesday, 18 September 2007 7:14:37 AM
As a society we dole out charity to the deserving poor.

Obesity and smoking are more prevalent in the lower socio-economic groups.

I agree with Kassie and c-bearup that smoking and obesity increase the risks of surgery and the poster that said that the risks of obesity and smoking were being used to ration services offered to these patients to save money.

My partner had terminal melanoma, no solarium exposure and no private health insurance. The oncologist suggested we take out private health insurance so I went to Medicare to make enquiries about how long he would have to stay alive to take advantage of his private health insurance with a pre-existing ailment. Told doctor that we could pay the bills ourselves but the doctors couldn't cost the treatments. Very unpleasant wondering whether you are getting second class treatment because the medico is pushing a political barrow.
Posted by billie, Tuesday, 18 September 2007 8:38:44 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy