The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Women of the corporation > Comments

Women of the corporation : Comments

By Jocelynne Scutt, published 14/9/2007

Research shows that the corporate board woman is a rare animal indeed and it is unlikely to change any time soon.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I don't spend much time with the corporate crowd so maybe the comment that really stuck out is reality but to me it looked like an amazing example of sexist stereotyping

"Setting oneself apart from other women, showing a monumental disdain for collegiality in so distinctively not “dining together”, and adopting the arrogance of executive dependency upon the lowly assistant who must tend to every need - including serving a personalised lunch - no doubt resonates with the male corporate crowd."

After a comment like that I think that I have a fairly good understanding of the authors committment to equality.

She appears to see feminism in terms of advancing women rather than seeking a society where individuals can prosper according to their individual talents and drive.

I hope she is right that not many of her type of feminist are getting board positions.

Now people who actually want equality, who will work for paternity leave and flexible hours for fathers with some of the same vigor as they work for issues impacting woman specifically, thats a different story.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 14 September 2007 11:37:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jocelynne, I did read the article did you read mine, my issue is not about gender, its about the white gender politcs involved in the issue. As for the suitably qualified bit that was a direct reference to excused that white people including white women employers, give to Aboriginal people as an excuse to not give them a job.

And as for last comment about Indigenous women, having a family and personel history of Aboriginal affairs and civil rights dating back to the early sixties. I know that many of the sister-girls including those few at the top who I worked alongside all those years ago.

Would without reservation agree with me that being excluded from opportunities on the basis of gender, can hardly be compared to that of being excluded on the basis of race.
Posted by Yindin, Friday, 14 September 2007 11:42:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Let's face it - the corporation is a legal person with a "Y" chromosome! It was invented by men for the purpose of creating wealth for themselves by exploiting others. It continues to do this today with adverse social consequences. I suspect that many otherwise "aspirational" women are turned off by the corporate ethos and choose to obtain their life satisfaction by investing their energies elsewhere.

Those women who survive in the corporate stratosphere require heavy insulation and camouflage.

Biddy
Posted by Biddy, Friday, 14 September 2007 12:13:43 PM
Thank you, Dr Scutt, for bringing this pressing issue to our attention.
I wonder where the idea came from that as feminists we must not hold a successful woman accountable?
The feminist position surely is that we have to expect much from successful women because so many women have suffered in the struggle to achieve these successes. And because so many women continue to struggle so other women can succeed.
It is women's work that got these succesful women there in the first place, hence they have a responsibility to women - women of the past for the trust those women passed on to us all; women of the present, whose lives are still affected by anti woman and patriarchal culture; and women of the future who have a right to be born into a world that is less anti woman because women have bothered to endeavour to do something about it.
Posted by Frances, Friday, 14 September 2007 12:35:04 PM
Hey aqvarivs and RObert
You've hilighted the whole problem - men don't do "the same thing" ie they don't see the obvious inequality in representation and try to take action to fix it.
I'm amazed you still don't "get it" Women make 50% (approx) of the population! Equality means 50% representation everywhere.
We could use the same approach for every other "group" we may belong to as well.
Posted by Procne, Friday, 14 September 2007 1:51:51 PM
I'm sorry Procne, but it's you who dosn't get it.

Equal opportunity means that all people can be assessed , in this case for an employment position, without their race, gender or other traits being considered. In simple terms: The best person for the job gets it.

50% of the population does not mean that there should be 50% representation. That's called positive discrimination and has been a failure in all places where it's been tried.
Posted by BN, Friday, 14 September 2007 2:01:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy