The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Dwarf Lords: tiny devices, tiny minds and the new enslavement > Comments

The Dwarf Lords: tiny devices, tiny minds and the new enslavement : Comments

By Julian Cribb, published 4/9/2007

This is no Orwellian fantasy: it is the dawn of the nanocracy, the rule of the Dwarf Lords. It is the tyrant’s dream come true.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Sir Vivor - I agree with you generally. Perhaps TV wasn't the best analogy to make, and probably didn't serve the point I was trying to make very well at all. I was trying to address that while skepticism is good - and very necessary with many new developments - that skepticism shouldn't grow so ingrained that it leads to simply 'dismissing' things as impossible.

I'm very aware that many developments are not at all good news in reality, for instance the medicalisation of childhood would appear to be to profit corporations, as would a great deal of the stifling of scientific debate and curtailing of academic freedom that Professor Cribbs touched on in the first paper of his that I mentioned. I'm using those as examples here because I mentioned them both in the earlier post.

To dismiss things as 'impossible' or very unlikely, can be as dangerous as being OVERLY optimistic about new developments, in that those developments that are not intended as an asset to humanity can creep up behind too many people and by the time they realise that it WAS possible, its often too late to try to keep the development in the public interest.

Best I can explain. I'm not a scientist or a professional, and I'm not currently in Australia - at the time of writing the last comment I think it was around 2 am which maybe accounts for the lack of clarity. Its actually late evening here now and I'm not particularly good at expressing things well at the best of times, let alone when tired :)
Posted by bill williams, Sunday, 25 November 2007 8:47:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Now I've got over the 'only 2 posts in 24 hours' criteria, and now its 4 am, I guess I'd better correct the mistake in the last message before someone gets the wrong idea:

where I said: "...as would a great deal of the stifling of scientific debate and curtailing of academic freedom that Professor Cribbs touched on in the first paper of his that I mentioned..."

I MEANT the first of Julian Cribb's papers that I READ and mentioned in my earlier comment. Not HIS first paper! I do know he's been around long before that publication.

I found his argument in that paper impressive, as did the scientist who mailed me the link.

He's a good man, with courage. That was obvious from reading that paper.
Posted by bill williams, Sunday, 25 November 2007 2:23:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy