The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Radical fringe a challenge for all > Comments

Radical fringe a challenge for all : Comments

By Saeed Saeed, published 30/8/2007

It is the vast majority of Australia's Muslims who suffer the most from the views of Muslim extremists.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
It would be nice to hear mainstream Islamic clerics pop up in the media to counter the extremist. I say this wishing all people of moderation and balance would speak out against political or religious or social excesses. Those of us who are more centralist need to speak out to counter the polar extremes and not have these exceptions constantly making the rules for the rest of us.
Our society is so badly fragmented with all the expectations of the me me's crying for the right to influence everyone else's life.
I get home from work and it takes me 45 minutes to peel off all the labels I've collected in the course of my day. I'm waiting for the day when we all stand up and shout, "shut up", in unison and achieve a little social quiet. The incessant drone of the me mes has become another form of pollution
Posted by aqvarivs, Saturday, 1 September 2007 8:11:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"I get home from work and it takes me 45 minutes to peel off all the labels I've collected in the course of my day."

LOL -great line aqvarivs!
Posted by Horus, Saturday, 1 September 2007 8:36:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
BIGMAL... you raise an important point. "why don't more high level Muslims criticize the radicals" ?

Its simple.

If I goto the steps of St Pauls Cathedral in Melbourne and yell abuse about Christ, defaming, blaspheming, condemning the Church, Christians etc... even using a loudhailer...the worst that would happen to me is some sour looks, and maybe the police would ask me to move on....

BUT.

If a high level Muslim criticizes the radicals, or even goes against those who the radicals like... they get death threats. Tom Zrieka, spokesman for the Lebanese Muslim association experienced that when he wanted to push Hilayli out..

Fred Nile wants Muslim immigration stopped..Ok.. it's controversial, but the ballot box should be the decider.. what happened ? DEATH THREATS "You will die you Christian pig".....

REALITY CHECK. The above is not fanciful illusion, but actual recent events.

Moderates are always at the mercy of radicals, because radicals kill.
All you have to do is blow away a few "outspoken critics" and the whole community is paralyzed with fear.....

It is for these reasons that my view remains rather staunch and hard, in that I'd agree with Fred Nile, and go further and seek to dismantle many Islamic symbols.. greatly restrict Muslim schools, ensure their curriculum is vetted and monitored for deviation. (As Singapore does)

I'd also remove ANY law which prevented open criticism of Islam.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 1 September 2007 5:34:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy