The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The real threat of global warming > Comments

The real threat of global warming : Comments

By Walter Starck, published 27/8/2007

A global warming catastrophe will become a self-fulfilling prophesy if it leads us to do nothing to prepare for coming fuel shortages.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
(Cont…)

Your figures state only ‘65% of the energy that you would get from petrol’ which is a fallacy, ethanol is used around the world and in minimum blends of 23% in Brazil, up to 100% in flex fuel cars. Also 100% ethanol as aviation fuel…just ask a Brazilian if he’s got a problem with ethanol fuels. Racing car drivers use ethanol because of its HIGH energy rating…not because of its environmental benefits.

In studies and competitions held on biofuels during the Roz Kelly ministry (ALP), ethanol blended fuels outstripped the competition in all categories, including performance.

RE: ethanol pipes lined with poly plastic…?

How do you suggest that petrol is ‘piped’? Petrol is highly corrosive and still has to be piped into holding tanks and vehicles and then through the vehicles fuel system…no differently to ethanol or most other fuels.

I guess you aren’t aware that during both world wars when fossil fuels were reserved for essential services and the troops, 100% ethanol was used in ordinary vehicles across Australia, motors for pumps, car engines, pretty well anything that could run on petrol…and all without a problem, ask anyone who can remember. Australian cars are exported to Brazil and used with the 23% blends without incident or problem. Have you seen methylated spirits, rum or vinegar corrode the containers they are held in? Fuel ethanol has no more problems to address than other fuels…

As the US is moving heavily into ethanol fuels to secure greater self-sufficiency and economic and environmental benefits amongst other things, Hirsch’s report should prove interesting…the ethanol revolution in the US has been driven for decades by the demand from motorists who want to increase the blends they are using.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating…ethanol has taken the world by storm, it has outperformed and soundly trounced all its critics myths on every count…the fact that proponents of other less efficient or less suitable fuel sources are so desperate to decry its real worth hasn’t deterred its growing popularity around the world.
Posted by Meg1, Wednesday, 12 September 2007 9:48:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hello Meg1,
I can see that nothing I say will convince you.
1 to 1.7 is a very poor EROEI and not a good one at all.

I sugget you go again and read some more about ethanol.
It does have a lower than petrol energy content, 65% I believe.
Thats not to say that ethanol won't work and by the way the Brazilian
practise while reasonable is nowhere near 100%.

Any way I think we will close it off now.

Cheers
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 12 September 2007 12:24:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy