The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why Australia should sell uranium to India > Comments

Why Australia should sell uranium to India : Comments

By Kaushik Kapisthalam, published 23/8/2007

Australian refusal to supply uranium to India would be a short-sighted move to preserve a failed 60's nuclear order and an affront to India.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Spector et al are 'bush lawyers' in the field of International Law.

There is a good reason why bush lawyers aren't allowed into a real courtroom... they read a bit of the odd law book and get all sorts of notions in their head. They are ignorant of rules, precedent, customary practices and tradition. They also haven't read the rest of the book.

They've been claiming it violates the NPT as well. They seek to reinterpret the NPT as requiring full scope safeguards for non-parties... something it clearly doesn't. Raratonga is based on the NPT
Posted by john frum, Monday, 27 August 2007 10:26:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
atom1,

glad to see more whining from you.

the more you reply to our (pro-proliferation) posts, the more energised we become. please give us more importance by showering more and more attention on us.

all the fellow australians in my large friend circle are pro-Uranium sale. So much for you poll.

private entrepreneurs in Australia (funded by China) are now mining for Uranium and selling overseas. can you stop them, you powerless whiner.

u chickened out of the debate for some spineless reason....you know you have no valid points.

Dare you to stop Uranium sale to India.....heh, heh, heh....
Posted by ecotrin, Tuesday, 28 August 2007 4:37:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Reading an article feels some uncertainty about author’s interpretation of the NPT.

As till date known, neither development of own nuclear capabilities but limits for transferring nuke-related technologies / equipment and compliance with international nuke-related legislation demanding a particular transparency of nuke activities and objects for international inspections, constitute the most of the NPT.

Intended uranium supply to China on prices discounted already heavily by national-liberal "economic management experts"-of-a-day hardly sustains a necessity for further wasting a precious national resource to please India or any other forward-thinking country building the sovereign future on modern energy-producing technologies while returning radioactive pollution to Australia.

So far, spells of returning to the nuke policies of the sixties as morally unacceptable U-turn, convinced me a little in vitality of U-supply-as-control-over-nukes system because nothing is transparent since NPT had been minded.
Posted by MichaelK., Wednesday, 29 August 2007 3:51:49 AM
For my part - I think the article is well written.

However, I do not support uranium sales, at this time, to any country that has nuclear weapons (including the US and France). Unless they have a clear disarmament focus.

It is clear to me that the US, under Bush has been fairly 'pro-nuke'. Additionally I believe that US unilateralism has been seen as provocative by many other nations.

I can understand why India developed weapons, however the long term has to be considered. Nukes everywhere would not make the whole world safe.

I will protest the sale of uranium at this time. This includes sales to China.
Posted by WhiteWombat, Wednesday, 29 August 2007 4:38:28 AM
THE SOLUTION TO GLOBAL NUCLEAR WEAPONS:

Step 1. India signs the NPT as a nuclear weapons state. (India is ready to do so). This step is non-negotiable for the Indians.

Step 2. Once India signs, all the countries having nukes (whether or not they are NPT signatories) agree to simultaneously and verifiably destroy their nukes. (The USA and China may be stumbling blocks).

Step 3. A global force of watchdog nations should be willing to sanction and, if need be, attack any country that produces nukes henceforth. (Easier said than done)
Posted by ecotrin, Wednesday, 29 August 2007 6:40:09 AM
I appreciate your joke, ecotrin.
Posted by MichaelK., Friday, 31 August 2007 2:20:53 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy