The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Decriminalisation and the noisy minority > Comments

Decriminalisation and the noisy minority : Comments

By Myfanwy Evans, published 27/7/2007

Anti-abortionists are an aggressive and vocal minority who manage to project a larger presence than they really have.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Yvonne says: “…not to have been born at all is not as scary a thought to some as being born unwanted by your mother…” How offensive? One of my mates is adopted. He and folk like him who never had the chance to meet their mum are better off unborn according to your thinking. I recall him lamenting once at why he was unwanted: that maybe he was adopted because his mother was raped (see where my subjectivity is coming from) . He is great fella involved in medicine and your assertion that he’d be better off dead is scary.

Also, an unplanned pregnancy doesn’t have to equate to an unwanted child. Your argument is essentially that an unplanned child is better off dead; however, you neglect to consider that, for pro-lifers, a being is killed to do that.

You haven’t answered the germane question re: the problem. Why is it a tragedy for a mother to lose her developing baby on one hand and a matter of course on another? You don’t get it - for some people life is precious life for others it is unwanted life. It being "unwanted" transcends its value as life and justifies its removal, on the other hand, it is precious and preserved at all costs. Can’t you see the conundrum? Can’t you see that in good conscience, and to be authentic, people like me cannot agree with legalising abortion? For me, it is human life and one cannot get around the fact that abortionists are killing a potential human being. The seed has sprouted. It’s too late –deal with it with grace and honour.

Yvonne says: “Abortions should be legal.” I think if you legalise abortion you will cause more abortions because an easy alternative will be available. This is the problem with research (and sexual encounters) no one wants to forecast the negative consequences.

For me, one person denied the life that they have been blessed with is wrong.

We disagree. However, I believe pro-abortionists mostly have good intentions. The road to an ideal society is paved with good intentions.

Goodbye.
Posted by ronnie peters, Wednesday, 8 August 2007 5:42:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Do you know that one of the things I don't understand about white people in this country being an Indigenous man, is the fact that white men feel that they have a right to comment on a matter that effects women only.

For thousands of years under our law, seperate laws for women and men enabled us to survive for thousands of years without advanced technology. I can't even imagine trying to debate this matter with an Aboriginal women, because quite frankly Aboriginal men would not be game, which is proberly why the christian right is so determined to stamp out our society.

All the problems attributed our communites in the paper today can be linked directly to white christian males, who molested the children under their care, who then became adults who intern molested others etc.

Let the women vote only to decide what they want on this issue and leave the men out
Posted by Yindin, Tuesday, 28 August 2007 11:24:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yindin, what a wonderful and refreshing view, thank you. You made my day. People like you are much needed to provide some balance in abortion debates.

At the moment I am contributing to an abortion debate and guess what- the only ones who don't want abortion decriminalised are some Christian men (and one who says he isn't religious but has exactly the same morals as the Christians).

Why should women have to live by the rules of Christian men even if they're not Christians?
Posted by Celivia, Tuesday, 28 August 2007 2:21:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy