The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The hurdy-gurdy man > Comments

The hurdy-gurdy man : Comments

By Bruce Haigh, published 13/7/2007

Rudd allowed himself to be wedged and it wasn’t a pretty sight: there comes a time when it is necessary to stand up to Howard and call his bluff.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Howard? I despise the little beggar! but thank him for the action and demand it is forever.
My mob? Labor? well in the early days the NT looked as weak as water to me.
Underline in your minds this is fact not just in far outback but near country towns.
Children in these community's are bashed raped and neglected EVERY NIGHT!
Howard is a grub but he was right here right this time, threads are starting like hail stones that abuse the man but ignore the fact some Aboriginals have no pride in themselves or their race.
A good deed to end your role in politics Howard again thanks and good riddance.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 13 July 2007 5:23:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Call me naive, but I consider it a possibility that Howard is genuinely concerned about indigenous children. However, the way this "policy" is being implemented suggests otherwise. They've ignored the recommendations of the "Little Children are sacred" report, ignored the views of the NT police and attempted (unsuccessfully) to steamroll indigenous opposition. On top of this, the action so far seems principally aimed at providing photo opportunities for Mal Brough.

I'm pleased to see this issue getting some attention, but I'm not sure that the "emergency response" is anything more than a hastily cobbled-together sham. However I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong on this.
Posted by Johnj, Saturday, 14 July 2007 10:03:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am Proud of Rudd, Gilard and Swan for their courage and Good Economic and Reform Policies.

Our Politics in Everyday Life? Where inclusiveness "will" help get US ALL BACK - On Track.

BASIC PROBLEM SOLVING.

Climate Change - Addressing the Future in Australia, as national partners in world economic and ecological change.

A Fair Workplace for vitality and baseline need for 'Productive Change' (ie: A 'No Wrong Door' is a door back to vitality)

Health Policy - needs a future (Alma Ata) working for Sustainable Economic Approach over coming decades. Civic engagement through Preventive Health means a focus on economic health at base levels for ALL! It is collabrative (use of human capital) and cost saving.

Housing Summit - A will to (think tank) and address a distorted market is a serious way to future productivity, through a level and balanced creative Sustainable Economic Ecological (Human Environmental) Approach. It is a critical "Basic Need" Australia.

Foreign Policy - We are all connected (hence our 'collective securitues') addresses a future for Sustainable Economic Approach for ALL in our region. (Ten points for the inclusion of Small Island and Pacific States-RUDD)

May HOPE be a SAFE OPTION in this coming decade!

http://www.miacat.com/
Posted by miacat, Saturday, 14 July 2007 10:48:27 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Anyone with a view of Parliamentary history knows politically it has always been the likes of the Bruce Haigh's of the world and their media that work hard at ensuring the John Howard's of the world accomplish little no matter how good the idea. Their the first to take credit for doing nothing while belittling the others efforts. Makes one proud to be of a nation encumbered by and held to a functioning standstill by leftist in the name of democracy.

"We never did anything about it when we was in office, an by God they won't do nothin if we can help it while we're out of office."
Posted by aqvarivs, Saturday, 14 July 2007 12:49:54 PM
Now see, the thing is, that the perpetrators are known to the families, police, communities, and everybody else. But, how many arrests have there been? Far too few. Alcohol is but one cause. Poverty is no cause at all - many poor men don't abuse children because they can.
No, John Howard's government is not serious about this issue at all. It is, as Bruce Haigh hints, a smokescreen for something else. Now, what else could it be, I wonder?
Get real! The man heading the country has never once expressed an interest in the welfare of anybody, much less the Indigenous population. His agenda is so far from the stated that it takes the breath away. Good intentions? Rubbish! Meanwhile the known perps are still free. The Indigenous have too few programs of their own to run that would increase self-confidence, restore pride, provide money so that they did not have to depend on welfare, provide real education opportunities that did not force them to separate from their parents, etc ad finitum. If JH were in any way real, these programs would have been instigated as part of his platform many years ago, not weeks away from an election only. An altruistic John Howard and Mal Brough? Oh, please!
Posted by arcticdog, Monday, 16 July 2007 2:53:24 PM
Having got past my bout of laughter at Cornflowers post, I scrolled down the threadpage till my eyes alighted on an intelligent comment remarking on how Rudd had had the wit not be dragged into the quicksand by the man sinking into it, who can't save himself but thinks he can by dragging some one else down to the gutter level of public brawling that discredits them rather than him ( he knows we expect no better of him, but the tabloid press will fall on anyone silly enough to play his game of giving him and his half baked "issues" oxygen- they are only gambits ) No doubt, Baird's comments concerning the repulsive aboriginal emergency gambit were spot on.
Nonetheless, Rudd worries me. He has backed away from endorsing moderation of the silly and Draconian Terrorism laws in the wake of the Dr. Haneef Mohammed travesty, and on Labor in general, we can hardly be encouraged by Iemma's antics concerning the "Forbidden City" ( where are you H. Rider Haggard?? ) and the authoritarian response in support of the globalisation/pillage-isation gabfest there.
Posted by funguy, Monday, 16 July 2007 3:19:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy