The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Australian Republican Movement has demographics and logic on its side > Comments

The Australian Republican Movement has demographics and logic on its side : Comments

By Andrew Leigh, published 3/7/2007

To many Australians, voting for one of our own as head of state may look a little more attractive when it is Charles III, rather than Elizabeth II, on the throne.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
What the Fact is actual democracy? I know of some 15 odd forms of democracy but, actual democracy escapes me.
Posted by aqvarivs, Wednesday, 4 July 2007 8:42:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Andrew, as one proud to call you mate, as well as one who relishes being one of the so-called left-wing vermin, feel also proud to be aligned with Canada and New Zealand even more so now as one along with them who did not support the idiotic illegal attack on Iraq.

Also not strange to say, as one having honours in the social sciences, and who supports the philosophies of the 17th century English philosopher John Locke whose doctrine pretty well puts Royalty and next-to-God Bush style presidencies down into the dustbin, does indeed support an Australian republic with no US-style strings attached.
Posted by bushbred, Wednesday, 4 July 2007 1:26:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is fortunate that people are too busy improving their lives to be dragged into nonsense like a republic. Let us be thankful for good economic times.

We are extremely fortunate, to have serendipitously acceded to a most workable constitutional monarchy.

It should be preserved primarily because it is so workable, inexpensive and trouble free, and secondarily because it is a positive part of our history and tradition.

Of all the ways our political system might be improved, this is not one of them.

Let us look first at how to prevent the country being held to ransom, by some minor party holding the balance of power in our legislatures.

If we ever succeed there, then work on something else which really matters, like reducing the number of politicians, and bureaucrats feeding off the public purse.

Leave the workable, comfortable parts of our system as they are. Who wants another politician? That is what we are really discussing.
Posted by Nick Lanelaw, Wednesday, 4 July 2007 7:09:46 PM
Not a single person can argue against my points? Have any of you even thought along those lines? Probably not.

One of the benefits of growing up in the most multicultural part of Australia, Sydney's western suburbs - where third world cultures full of bigots and violent racists (as we see on the nightly news with endless fighting in their third world dump of a homeland).

Most people don't even care because their experience of multiculti is a restaurant on a Friday night, what an outrage.

Hopefully these Paki doctors have scared a few of you into line. I could never be surprised by that, as non-western cultures ethic systems are rubbish.

Racism against 'the other' is a way of life for all non-western countries.

In fact, and it's the reason our nations are full of people with goodwill, our people are too tolerant for their own good.

We've let in animals, although the habitat was put in the western suburbs.

I hope and pray that the next bus or plane that gets bombed is the bus to Woomera with all those leftist loonies on it.
Posted by Benjamin, Wednesday, 4 July 2007 8:03:16 PM
Benjamin, if ever there was one who should do a uni' course in Western history, you are the one.

Oh, goodness me, I forgot, if Howard wins he's going to re-arrange the historical agenda.

Have fun, mate, for I'm going on 87, had a fortunate life and all, but now with the Corporate Culture ruling the roost coupled with a non-reliance on history, reckon it's a good time to light out.

Finally, by your attitude you probably wouldn't know, but it was Churchill who declared that if he had a high-ranking officer under him who did not know history, he would demote him straightaway.
Posted by bushbred, Friday, 6 July 2007 6:25:17 PM
Bushbred,

Argue against my points you coward. You can't knock them down because they are totally correct.

Know any SES workers that aren't Anglo, or western European? Know any ambulance workers, fire brigade, or police?

Anglo's shouldn't be the glue that holds this place together, although it's obvious that non-western cultures are so inherently bigoted and intolerant that they can't even live together let alone set up communities without corruption, and such.

The herd mentality of the non-west is the reason we can see thirty Asian youth at Epping bash and stab a lone Anglo. It's the same with the Lebanese Muslims.

Only those who have Christian influence have values that we can work with.

Grow up mate, I'm against bigotry. It's astonishing you can't even see that. Given the way you're generation was brought up I suppose it's no wonder, although being before the age of political correctness, when we called savages 'savages' and the nonsense of cultural relativism didn't exist, you should be more aware.

There is a reason the Japanese tortured POWS and the Anglo's didn't you know. Our culture is civilised, we aren't cruel animals, we have mercy, feelings, emotions.

You can see this in our faces compared to non-westerners. Although, if influenced by the west, they begin to show that also, and others still, like the Dalai Lama for example, shows it too.

Islamic clerics don't though, I haven't yet seen one that doesn't look like an extremist bigot, with steam coming off him filled with his filthy emotions.

No Father Riley's type work being done in that community. In Islam, charity means terrorist front.
Posted by Benjamin, Saturday, 7 July 2007 12:50:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy