The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why all the fuss? > Comments

Why all the fuss? : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 5/7/2007

There is plenty to be perplexed about in the continuing controversy over Salman Rushdie.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Another problem with the Rushdie knighthood is those US/UK/Australian commentators who, in fits of political correctness, have decried the failure of the British knighthood committee to consider the sensitivities of the Muslims in Pakistan, Iran and Malaysia.

These political commentators do terrible damage to the process of bridging cultural differences because, for fear of offending Muslims, they do not uphold the right of nations to order their societies according to their own lights.

An acceptance that people in Islamabad live according to different cultural influences than do those who live in, say, England or Australia is necessary if some of these ridiculous kerfuffles are to be avoided. The commentators talk as though there is no difference, as though those in UK should modify their cultural influences and follow those in Islamabad - that way we will not offend.

As Danial Barenboim said in the Reith lectures a couple of years ago (or words to this effect) - political correctness allows one not to have to do the hard work of forming one's own opinion and then run the risk of having to defend one's opinion.
Posted by Plaza-Toro, Thursday, 5 July 2007 10:13:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So...Irf, the only thing there is to react to from you piece is the kind of suggestive subtitle.

"There is much to be perplexed about"

But for the life of me I can't find much about that in the article.

It was a fairly light commentary, a set of observations, which didn't really lead anywhere except state the obvious.

If anything, you were making the point that a lot of peole 'out there' make a lot of fuss about things they know little about.

The biggest benefit I derived from the piece was the not about 'Al Marri' and its meaning. Thanx.

The thing I am always concerned about, whether it is Rushdie or not, is the level of Islamic radicalism translating into attacks against government insitutions in Pakistan. The Iranians are already against us, but the Paki's are not, at least not the government.

Such incidents as Rushdie's Knighthood simply fuel those radicals.
So in conclusion, the one thing I am concerned about is the propensity toward violence among radical Muslims. Something we have all been reminded about very graphically ... again.. this week.

I don't think this can be described as a 'tirade' :) can it ?
blessings.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 5 July 2007 11:38:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Keep up the good work Irfan - maybe one day soon even you could have a best seller or two.

What concerns me is WHY some would react that way and not so much WHO WHERE or WHEN.

My opinion is that Islam's hypersensitivity to criticism reflects its deep down insecurities.

The more Islam is exposed to the outside world, the more it loses respect and fails as an alternative modern political/ social movement.

Islam is at loss from all sides today. People are not buying their pleas or their threats any longer.

Adding some seasoning to the thread – let me ask:

If one cannot trust a mother-approved government-certified model citizen like a GP – how on earth do you expect (us) to trust anything Islamic?
Posted by coach, Thursday, 5 July 2007 12:41:13 PM
Just one correction. The real name of the Syrian chap was "Abul A'la al-Ma'arri", not Abul Hasan al-Ma'arri. Thanks to Professor Bill Shepard (formerly of the University of Canterbury in NZ) for pointing out this error
Posted by Irfan, Thursday, 5 July 2007 4:27:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Irfan Yusuf

The great Moslem mathematicians of yesteryear did not invent zero or the modern "Arabic" number system it was invented by Hindus. What relevance do atrocities committed by the Crusaders or the quality of a writer's work or character have to do with the right to free speech? I could mention the unspeakable cruelties of the Ottoman Turks, Moslems should stop whining about the Crusades, we all live in glass houses.

mac
Posted by mac, Thursday, 5 July 2007 5:23:58 PM
Irfan: “Apart from Iran, Pakistan and followers of a Malaysian opposition party, I haven't heard a peep about Rushdie's knighthood. Perhaps the hysterical minority of Muslims who love wasting their time and energy on protesting…”

Another piece of islamist-gibberish-falsehood-misinformation propaganda intended to mislead non-Muslims into thinking that islamists are ok people.

For every extremist-Muslim, he/she must first be a Muslim. So every Muslim has to be treated as a potential extremist Muslim. The Islamic world has declared jihad against non-Muslims the world over; in Malaysia, in India, the West, Philippines, Indonesia, China, Russia, Ethiopia, Australia, etc.

The recent failed attempts to bomb London and Glasgow by some medical doctors is one such example.

“For the public, the idea that well-educated professionals could mutate into terrorists in white lab coats is a baffling departure from the home-grown Muslim terrorists…’It's farcical that Al Qaeda, with its huge experience in explosives, would have sent them if they didn't know how to do it," said Sajjan Gohel, a terrorism expert at the Asia-Pacific Foundation. "These people were not preplanned and sent here. They were radicalized here."

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/07/03/europe/britain.php?page=1
Posted by Philip Tang, Friday, 6 July 2007 4:30:39 AM
Phillip Tang,

“For every extremist-Muslim, he/she must first be a Muslim. So every Muslim has to be treated as a potential extremist Muslim”

This statement reflects deep ignorance and prejudice.
Most muslim scholars (read the top 100 scholars letter to the Pope and their interviews on google) agreed that once someone is set to murder innocent civilians for whatever justification it means he is no longer a Muslim. Nobody in their sane mind can interpret ‘fight those who fight you and shall not transgress’ into anything more than defending yourself against an invading armies which can only be interpreted as conscription in the military.

www.fethullahgulen.org

Here is another interesting interview (the English conversation starts after 30 seconds in the video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn0iPlWQNlI

Peace,
Posted by Fellow_Human, Friday, 6 July 2007 9:32:26 AM
Nobody in their sane mind can accept a religion that asks its followers to ‘fight those who fight you and shall not transgress’...
when Jesus - God The Son - has clearly commanded humanity to "love your enemies".

I thought you were an Australian like us. But it appears not.

Nobody in their sane mind, FH, will translate a cowerdly and premedidated Islamic (they are all Muslims arn't they) attack on powerless unarmed civilians as: "defending yourself against an invading armies..."

Time foe another holiday mate - the tablets are not working yet again.
Posted by coach, Friday, 6 July 2007 10:25:56 AM
Coach,

I met many people and made new friends through this site who had no prblem understanding my views expressed in the last 2 years.

Its more constructive to learn to communicate with others properly and it starts from reading and understanding.

I lived in this beautiful country for a decade now and 'True Australians' welcome people, respect each others beliefs.
Its one thing to spend your time on OLO slandering Muslims, Atheists or anyone who doesn't accept your faith, but to claim that this is Australian? well, you need to go out more often

Peace,
Posted by Fellow_Human, Friday, 6 July 2007 11:09:48 AM
Why all the fuss? You can't be serious.

The fuss is there because there are racist, utterly disgustingly intolerant Muslim bigots that want him dead because of his words.

If 'moderate' Muslims did more we westerners wouldn't need to waste our time on an issue that our superior cultures buried during the European enlightenment.

The idiots who thought Islamic values could be encompassed in the civilsed west should have to live in a suburb of England or France where non-Muslims are bashed on sight.

How many lives have been lost, ruined, or disturbed by bringing out those with such vile values?

The problem is, and this is why 'moderates' say nothing, the command to kill Rushie isn't some twisted interpretation of Islam, it is Islam.

Just like the commandment to kill Muslims who leave Islam. Or adulturers. Or homosexuals.

Muslims actually complain that we went into Afghanistan for crying out loud! They see removing the Taliban as oppression!

People have to understand Muslims have a completely different idea of morality to us. Entire communities will cover up an 'honour killing' of a daughter who wanted a boyfriend that isn't part of the tribe - utter xenophobia!

There has never been an example in history of a tolerant Muslim society; only forced conversions, dhimmitude, slavery - still common today all over the Islamic world.

Malaysia just the other day criticised the U.S State Dept. for it's demand that Muslim states stop slavery, saying it was going against Islam by saying such things.

Are Muslims going to denounce the Malaysian Government for getting Islam wrong? Of course not. Slavery is condoned in Islam.

It's the same with terrorists, one never hears condemnations of Bin Laden, even from the new Mufti! Utter bigotry!

How dare Muslims complain people stare in the street?

Any culture that wraps sheets over women because they are nothing more than a sexual object will always feel uncomfortable in an enlightened western society.

People should ask why we even have a Muslim community, as it offers nothing but welfare cheques, a tripling of the ASIO budget, and bigotry.

Unbelievable.
Posted by Benjamin, Sunday, 8 July 2007 12:08:27 PM
Benjamin,

" If 'moderate' Muslims did more "

Lets, see:

- All muslims websites (I won't quote any unless you ask) have a clear position on violence and terrorism.
- Muslim communities established a number of education forums to educate and guide muslims youth (www.affinity.org.au is a good example)
- Muslim community engage in a number of forums on social dialogue and interfaith dialogues.

As an average muslim, I keep scratching my head when I hear the 'muslims should do more'. Its missing the 'what'

In all your posts you keep mentioning the 'muslims should do more'. I am sure you don't want to sound boring or repetitive so why don't you give us more ideas about what else we should be doing?

and while at it, maybe you should give us ideas on how are you Benjamin, supporting Muslims efforts to integrate?

Peace,
Posted by Fellow_Human, Sunday, 8 July 2007 11:22:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy