The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Remembering Charlie > Comments

Remembering Charlie : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 20/6/2007

Charlie Perkins displayed honour of the highest order and in turn should be honoured for outstanding service to the Australian community.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Charlie Perkins was a racist through and through.

His hatred of white people was totally unfounded, disgusting, and vile.

It was probably his own hatred that consumed him in the end.

He was Commissioner of ATSIC for a period there too, a corrupt, decadent, utter waste of taxpayers money.

No, I'm with Noel Pearson. I myself come from an area where there was massive poverty, welfare class. The key is to give such people a sense of value, not just blame whitey like Perkins did.

It was those policies which have held back real progress in this area.

Nitwits walking over a bridge have done nothing for indigenous affairs.

Those who think they can still be indigenous though, and live in this world, are kidding themselves.

That culture is long gone, just like it was for Europe, and everyone else who has embraced the modern, westernised world.

Tribal values are never coming back, nor should they. Child brides married off to elders, slavery, outdated revenge cycles, are values and concepts that belong in the past.

Perhaps this is what Keysar Trad means when he says Aboriginies had a lot in common with Islam.
Posted by Benjamin, Wednesday, 20 June 2007 1:07:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I well remember the hatred spewed by Perkins against the white Australians. There is no doubt that Aboriginals had to fight for rights but the activists have done far more hurt to the Aboriginal culture than white society ever did. And the damage is self evident today.
Posted by mickijo, Wednesday, 20 June 2007 3:07:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What was it Perkins said? It was something like 'get off your white arse' or words like that. Imagine if a white person said 'get off your black arse'. We'd still be chopping down trees to provide paper to enable the commentariat to lash that person and white society in general.
Posted by Sage, Wednesday, 20 June 2007 3:17:39 PM
I'm with Noel Pearson and his approach. I just remember Charlie as an incredible nasty and racist person.
Posted by jackson, Wednesday, 20 June 2007 4:35:19 PM
Stephen,

What wonderful support you give to the idea of removal of aboriginal children from reserves. By removing him from the Alice, Perkins had a series of opportunities which would otherwise have been unavailable to him. Opportunities which he seems to have capitalised on.

He lived to the age of 64; well above aboriginal life expectancy at the time. He completed High School, he did a trade at age 16, his sporting talent was recognised, he studied at university.

I can only conclude from this that you consider his removal to have been a good thing - otherwise he would just have been an unfortunate statistic.
Posted by Reynard, Wednesday, 20 June 2007 4:35:19 PM
Charlie Perkins could have done much for Australian Aborigines with the education and status he achieved through the untiring efforts of the many unsung progressive white Australians who fought against the racism that permeated our society in the early part of the last century and without recognition created the environment for Charlie Perkins and his contemporaries to rise above the squalor and neglect their forebears endured.

Charlie rode on the crest of the popular wave of Aboriginal activism that emerged from the Wave Hill walk off and leadership of Vincent Lingiari in 1966. The Gurindji are generally credited with being the leaders of the land Rights struggle that inspired so many people claiming Aboriginal ancestry to express pride in their Aboriginality.

Unfortunately, Charlie dropped the ball. When he could have been consolidating reconciliation with all Australians he fomented anti-white sentiments,alienating many long time white supporters, playing on the anger and frustration of marginalised fringe dwelling Urban Aborigines at the expense and detriment of Remote area Traditional people who are still living in an environment of a past era.

Forty years on from the Referendum voting for Aboriginal recognition as citizens,Traditional Aboriginal people have yet to be elevated to the status where they enjoy equality with their Urban relatives.

Now is not yet the time to be erecting monuments because there is yet much to do if Aboriginal people are to take their place as equals in Australian Society
Posted by maracas, Wednesday, 20 June 2007 10:01:23 PM
Charles Perkins was a character of sufficent historical significance to justify some form of memorial, even if he held anti Anglo-Western sentiments. Likewise, the in US, Rev. Martin Luther King, DID influence the Kennedys and the bus companies and therefore the civil rights movement. Despite strong evidence that King was an adulter and a plagarist [even his doctorate], it would be wrong to deny King his place in History.

What suprises me about Stephen is how much time he has to fly around the world and the country to criticise his fellow countrypersons. Modern aboriginals are not born into the 1700s, they are born into today and should play today's game. Were I to ask an acadamic employer to spend my days running down England over its treatment of Scotish Clans [my ancestory], I would have no change. The Irish would have a better case, but no better chance. Recall too, both Caesar and Hadrian would impacted on all Anglican clan systems.

The aboriginal whom recognises that families need to function in the twenty-first century diserves a very tall statue indeed. Let's have an end to apartism.

I wish the indingeous community well, but it needs to wake up to its behaviour, especially regards the family and grog.
Posted by Oliver, Thursday, 21 June 2007 12:10:18 PM
CORRECTION: King was an adulterer and a plagiarist [even his doctorate]
Posted by Oliver, Thursday, 21 June 2007 6:26:07 PM
i often wonder why some people bother to publish articles in this forum when the comments they elicit are more often than not so incredibly stupid, like the previous responses to this article -- what a very sad group of fools!

i think charlie perkins was an imperfect, inspiring, great man. i'm not sure a statue is the best way to honour his memory, but i agree whole heartedly with the sentiment.

i always look forward to reading your contributions stephen and, like most, quietly appreciate them. keep them coming.
Posted by paul-h, Monday, 25 June 2007 11:21:06 AM
I diagree in total,Charles Perkin,was entitled to have had that opinion,as anglo saxon Australia did not and could not care a damn about the Aboriginal(Nation) never did,and now even after eleven years with John Howard as head of the nation, he has done nothing to improve conditions,Give us more Aboriginal men with the mind of Charles Perkins,and there would have been no NOT GUILTY VERDICT,in the case of the dead of a drunk Aboriginal man at the hands of a WHITE POLICE OFFICER
Posted by KAROOSON, Monday, 25 June 2007 1:26:03 PM
well it's good to have my suspicion confirmed -- there are some decent people reading this forum and they dont always leave the posting to unmedicated morons like "reynard", "benjamin" and their idiotic ilk.

i agree with your point ("karooson") about the murder of Mulrunji -- that filthy, fat pig chris hurley should be locked up in gaol. now that he's got away with murdering an innocent man, who know what other crimes this unrepentant lowlife will go on to commit, or act as an example for others to do.

it says a lot about the shocking moral malaise into which our society has sunk over the last decade or so that our "great leaders" are more determined to sexually traumatise aboriginal children en masse, as this sickening and cynical federal initiative will do, than to stop the ongoing murder and abuse of aboriginal men, women and children by psychopathic pigs (like hurley), paternatistic government programmes, predatory white trash, and others (like white-owned liquor outlets) that cruelly exploit the awful situations that exist in some aboriginal communities.

i wish there were stronger, saner voices within the aboriginal communities than pearson. shame on our media for providing a platform for him and numbskulls like nowra -- a tortured failure, who having bored us with his dull and derivative "theatre" thinks he can now advise governments on a subject about which he knows nothing. the primary source for his recent race hate literature published by the dopes at pluto press -- little more than a tragic tabloid scrapbook he'd been keeping, like a schoolgirl with a really weird infatuation. this is the level of intelligence that currently informs politics and our society today. is it any wonder "aboriginal affairs" is in such an appalling state.
Posted by paul-h, Monday, 25 June 2007 4:01:08 PM
Since my last post, which astonishingly wasn't attacked this time, the whole issue with Aborigines has exploded.

The whole, sanctimonious leftist 'bridg-walking', 'sorry book', set make me sick.

They should all be brought up on charges. How dare they throw in fear campaigns of calling those good people who care about children 'racist' because they are sick leftist cultural relativists, and want to see children raped by elders because it's tribal culture.

Truly, the cowards on the left need to be purged. Public trials, ending in executions. These smug pricks have had the reigns too long, ruining an entire generation in their stupid experiment of all cultures living side by side.

Meanwhile, none of them live anywhere near the noble savage they so love - from a distance.

I hope, and would pray if religous, that the poor kids being raped and abused by drunkards - who themselves are victims of the left, are removed tonight, literally.

That a culture can have child brides doesn't deserve to exist. One can't live tribal ways and expect western lifestyles. One must become a westerner in their morality too, as tribal values lead nowhere but misery for the women and kids.

How dare anyoe call Howard a racist for wanting to do something, after this Labor report (so this idea of election stunt is ludicrous, it's the ALP's if anyone's) was rotting away in a cabinet while kids are raped.

For shame.

And for shame for the scum who have hindered this process. All those who have been talking about these issues for well on thirty years now ought to get apologies.

And the children, many of whom are now our inmates, should sue the left for NOT being stolen.
Posted by Benjamin, Monday, 25 June 2007 5:26:47 PM
Hello paul-h,

You can't imagine how pleased I am to be on the receiving end of your ad hominem attack. The feeling of intellectual superiority it gives me leaves me smiling all day.

Thank you!
Posted by Reynard, Thursday, 28 June 2007 9:56:21 AM
Back on June 20, I sent Stephen Hagan the following email:

----
Be so kind as to rephrase your online article "Remembering Charlie" so as not to plagiarise the article I wrote for Wikipedia. The infringing content is:

"From the mid-1970s, members of the Noongar community lobbied for the erection of a statue of Yagan as part of the WAY 1979 sesquicentennial celebrations. Their requests were refused, however, after then Premier of Western Australia Sir Charles Court was advised by local historians that Yagan was not important enough to warrant a statue."

"Respected Indigenous leader Ken Colbung claimed at the time "Court was more interested in spending tax payers' money on refurbishing the badly neglected burial place of Captain James Stirling, WA's first governor"."

"Despite this setback, the Noongar community persisted, establishing a Yagan Committee and running a number of fund-raising drives. Eventually, sufficient funds were collected to allow the commissioning of Australian sculptor Robert Hitchcock to create a statue."

"The result was a life-size statue in bronze, depicting Yagan standing naked with a spear held across his shoulders. Hitchcock's statue of Yagan was officially opened by Yagan Committee chairperson Elizabeth Hanson on September 11, 1984. It stands on Heirisson Island in the Swan River near Perth."

You have copied this text from Wikipedia or one of its mirrors, without attribution, thereby infringing my copyright.
----

This email has gone unacknowledged. To plagiarise someone elses copyrighted material, to pass it off as your own work, and to not even bother to respond when challenged, really is shameful, shameful behaviour.
Posted by Snottygobble, Thursday, 5 July 2007 5:17:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy