The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Queensland needs ‘real world’ surrogacy laws > Comments

Queensland needs ‘real world’ surrogacy laws : Comments

By Suzanne Harrison, published 4/6/2007

Surrogacy remains a realistic solution to the biological and emotional yearning to be a parent.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
I'm a 35 year old professional woman. I live in Queensland. I am law abiding, healthy and happily married to a wonderful man. We are an infertile couple and we have been together 15 years. We have been through 5 IVF cycles with no success. I'm so emotionally drained that I really don't know how many more times I can go through it. The grief gets more intense every cycle. We're just about to start again. Depending on what happens this time I think I am going to have to start re-evaluating my options. My sister and my best friend have both offered to be a surrogate for my husband and I, who incidentally produce perfect "superstar" embryos (according to our embyologist). The implantation is the challenge for us. My potential surrogates will not accept payment nor would I offer it. The laws do seem draconian to say the least. Why shouldn't I be able to contract with my potential surrogate? Why should I have to adopt my own biological child when the surrogate is merely acting as a capsule for the child. Why should I have to re-locate myself and my husband and my whole life for that matter, when all I want is to be able to bring a very much loved baby into the world with the help of my very loved sister or friend....who want to do this for me? To face going to prison for what I do not believe is criminal, given my specific circumstances, and the state of invitro fertilisation technology seems ludicrous. What will it take to unify the states and align the laws so they reflect the needs of our modern society?
Posted by Desperate for baby, Friday, 27 July 2007 2:21:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The legislation in Queensland which prohibits surrogacy is ridiculous. I am a 35 year old, Gold Coast mother of 2, who wants to become a surrogate for my cousin and her husband who have just been told they cannot have children after years of numerous unsuccessful IVF procedures and operations. My husband and I are not having any more children, thus I find it ludicrous that I, a healthy woman, cannot give my cousin the chance at experiencing the greatest gift - a child of her own. During IVF, their embryos formed perfectly, however, the implantation never took or she was unable to hold on to the pregnancy. Therefore, this baby would be genetically theirs and I would act as an incubator for 9 months. I would never want money for this, as seeing the joy on their faces as their child is handed to them will be payment enough. This offer of surrogacy from me is not about money, it's about love. So, how can this be seen as a 'Criminal' act? One, I and they, could go to prison for? Government officials and law makers need to re-evaluate the current, but antiquated, laws that govern surrogacy issues. It's time.
Posted by Nadsy, Saturday, 28 July 2007 10:37:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wow i don't know where to start this issue really needs some changing in many states. I think it is quite discriminatory that a percentage of couples who for some reason are more or less told that they can't have kids and the law won't allow them to. Everybody has this right and with fertility rates decreasing there is a need for change to ensure that all people get the right to decide for themselves if they want kids or not it should not be decided for them. I do agree that yes it may need to be regulated so that the surrogate can't turn around and decide to keep the child for themselves. And i also believe that the intended parents should be put on the child's birth certificate from birth as after all they are the ones who will be bringing the child up. I just think it's time for change and can't understand why there should be any problem if a family member or friend wants to act as an incubator for a couple so that they can receive one of the greatest experiences that a person will ever go through in their life time. Times are changing and so our laws need to change to accompany what is best for society. IVF is helping so many people but there are still those who are unable to carry the foetus and so shouldn't they be catered for as well withouth having the risk of going to jail. Since when is parenthood a criminal offence? Isn't it a right not a privilege? If im a 21 year old who believes that the laws are discriminatory then i can only imagine the other people out there who feel the same. I would gladly have a child for someone close if they get the chance to have a child because i have a 2 year old son and can't imagine what it would have been like if i was unable to have him. It's just so special and something that everyone should get to experience.
Posted by keralj, Wednesday, 15 August 2007 12:51:51 PM
I am a 33 year old mother of one living in Queensland.... I was fortunate to have a child naturally and I am extremely grateful for that, but unfortunately during child birth I had a major complication which has resulted in my needing an emergency hysterectomy to save my life. I would dearly love to have another child, a brother or sister for my daughter, but unless surrogacy laws are changed this won't happen. The Queensland Government needs to re-think about this ridiculous law, there are so many people who desperately want children or more children like myself. It frustrates me when you see people just having babies for the money, or they have more children when they can't really afford it or even want them, or don't have a happy, stable family environment to offer...... Its just not fair!!
Posted by Barley, Friday, 24 August 2007 10:57:25 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy