The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Say 'no' to nuclear - but not for the usual reasons > Comments

Say 'no' to nuclear - but not for the usual reasons : Comments

By Les Coleman, published 16/5/2007

Australia has a record of poor management of technologies and lacks the expertise to go nuclear.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Batch
It is impossible to comment on press reports. Do you have a copy of the publication?

I will however make a few general observations that may or may not be relevant to this particular work.

1. Post combat syndromes and ill health seems to have been the fate of veterans from past wars. For instance review of medical records from the Royal Hospital Chelsea shows that some veterans from the Boar war suffered from adverse medical syndromes (Brit Med J 2002; 324: 1-7).
2. The health records of 22,347 men who participated in UK atmospheric tests were studied by Darby et al (Brit Med J. 1988; 296:332-8). Control subjects were chosen from servicemen who did not participate in the tests. Controls were matched for age, rank, type of service etc.
Deaths from Neoplasm relative risk 0.96 [90% confidence interval 0.86-1.08].
Deaths from al causes relative risk 1.01 [90% confidence interval 0.93-1.23].
3. A similar study on 528 men from the Royal New Zealand Navy was conducted by Neil Pearce (Brit Med J 1990; 300:1161-6). The findings were similar to the British study. There were 4 cases of leukaemia in the exposed and 2 in the control. [RR= 5.58; CI 1.04-41.6]. Note numbers were small.
4. From press reports the Massey study consisted in comparing the number of chromosomes translocations in test and control subjects. This does not directly equate with clinical illness or disability, although it may do so.
a). It is necessary to know number of subjects examined and how controls were selected.
b) It is necessary to know measures used and statistical levels of significance etc.
c) It is necessary to know if confounding and interacting factors were considered in analysis.
d) Pearce stated that at the time of their study individual dose data was not publicly available. Do you know if the Massey study has the same limitation?

The most likely consequence of chromosomal damaged cells is limited cell division and apoptosis or programmed cell death.
Posted by anti-green, Thursday, 17 May 2007 11:06:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Leigh (off topic). You are right. I was clumsy and immature - sorry!

I really am interested in what makes us tick. Politics seems to have failed us so much lately. And now this nuclear thing - another spectre, like war - spreading like a disease, nourished in equal amounts by propaganda and the urge to profit. We seem to get railroaded into one thing after another. If ever there was a time to pause for a bit of self-examination, this is surely it.

Anyhow, I'll meet you on a another thread where this topic is more appropriate.

(disclaimer: I don't belong to any political party)

Cheers
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Thursday, 17 May 2007 12:06:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ChristinaMac,
"But - notice that in democracies, not a single new nuclear power plant has been built for some 30 years."

It depends on what your definition of democracy is I suppose.
France has over 50 nuclear power facilities of which only four were running in the 70's. 9 were built since 1990.

Japan has built around 15 since 1990 and has 6 due for completion by 2012.

Let alone the many plants in the planning stage worldwide.
Posted by rojo, Thursday, 17 May 2007 10:58:28 PM
BATCH,

Further to my post, I received in my mailbox today a cogent critic of the Massey study. As I understand the politics of the study, it was commissioned in support of a legal action by a veterans group. My interest is in the science and not in compensation claims one way or the other.

I am unable to post the emails on this site because it is too long and it is also very technical. However, it was posted to a large professional group so the contents are in a sense in the public domain. If you are any one else are interested I can forward the information.

isurveyor@vianet.net.a
Posted by anti-green, Friday, 18 May 2007 12:16:41 AM
Lack of Poltical Trust, Safety and the disposal of Waste are my own main concerns with this topic of doing anything Nuclear.

There is so much more to unify us on, for good reason, before we need to afford ourselves on this topic. Humanity has a long ways to go. We have such tremendous knowledge and it is true; business groups are the leaders of innovation if we support their need to research and develop clean, sustainable and healthy practices.

I have never had more faith. Our country has embraced a new learning curve - for better or worse. We need to continue this learning regardless of the barriers.

It is our way to the future... a future for the young to bare.

Make we show them the value without Poverty for the purpose of Peace.

http://www.miacat.com/
Posted by miacat, Friday, 18 May 2007 8:10:07 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Chris Shaw,
Re:uranium hexafluoride
"This one can't be buried down a hole and forgotten, because the stuff is so reactive with the environment, no matter what"

Why not? As long as it is kept dry. It does not react with dry air, only when moisture is present. Provided the hole is in the desert and not near a water table there should be no concerns.
Posted by rojo, Friday, 18 May 2007 9:57:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy