The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The man and the story behind 'Amazing Grace' > Comments

The man and the story behind 'Amazing Grace' : Comments

By Peter Rahme, published 9/5/2007

The life of John Newton clearly demonstrates that no matter how deep in sin you are, God’s grace is far greater.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Good story but has one major fault God don't exist.
Posted by Kenny, Wednesday, 9 May 2007 9:16:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Excellent essay but what has Fred Nile got to do with the politics and culture of Grace---or even the possibility of Divine Grace.
He is a "righteous" sex paranoid puritan, obsessed with what people do with their genitals.
Posted by Ho Hum, Wednesday, 9 May 2007 10:46:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The words of this hymn (not to mention the tune) are haunting even for non-Christians. The message is universal truth. None of us have deeds good enough to earn us paradise. It's only by our Creator's grace that we can hope to reach there.
Posted by Irfan, Wednesday, 9 May 2007 2:09:22 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If you read the article again it would seem the person the author is writing abour is called Newton Newton. "Newton, an only child of John Sr and Elizabeth Newton, was born on July 24, 1725 in London, England."

An aside there. Another wannabe writer who starts assuming the reader knows everything.

Amazing Grace is a great tune but that's it. God didn't pen it, through anybody. Newton did. Even this author says so.

Sin? Paradise? Fantasy.

Irfan, paradise should be here on earth while we are alive, not after we are dead. It could be but.... none live as they preach do they?

It is religion in the main that prevents that paradise from existing. Ask God's disciples. Ask JC. Read any religious theory. None of them match what man does in this life so no imagineary afterlife can ever atone for that.

Dream on. Ruin this life as you'll be saved later as you crumble to dust or ashes. Madness, the world's biggest delusion.
Posted by pegasus, Thursday, 10 May 2007 8:06:28 AM
The trouble with this religion business is that the only Spirit I believe in is rectified spirit.
Posted by plerdsus, Thursday, 10 May 2007 7:28:18 PM
Irfan, I believe it is only your outer shell that will "crumble to dust and ashes". Meanwhile, I think you are wide awake and not dreaming.

Pegasus, Have you ever considered the possibility that it is you who are dreaming? Dreams are so vivid, aren’t they? I suppose you would say the same about my faith in God and in his amazing grace.

Perhaps you and Irfan are friendly rivals and I should not intrude, but why disturb his peace? Why not leave us theists to our delusion? Has Irfan injured you in some way – stepped on your toe while sleep-walking, for example?

One thing I agree with you about: “paradise should be here on earth while we are alive”. It’s unspeakably sad that it isn’t. This is no comfort to you, as you don’t believe it, but I don’t think paradise is far away.

Pax,
Posted by goodthief, Thursday, 10 May 2007 10:32:39 PM
Scientifically, it’s impossible to prove that God exist. If God does not exist what’s to stop the Nazis’ claims that killing 6 million Jews is the evolution of a ‘superior race’? It accords with 'science'. One the other hand, Zionists decimation of the Palestinians from their homeland believe they are fulfilling scriptural prophesies. It gets rather complicated.
Posted by Philip Tang, Friday, 11 May 2007 2:16:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy