The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Gender and the Australian Parliament > Comments

Gender and the Australian Parliament : Comments

By Mary Crawford, published 8/5/2007

The Australian Parliament continues to be a male-dominated institution that shows little sign of changing.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Has anyone stopped to ask the question of Why, as more and more females get involved in everything, and take on roles of power, the more and more strife is about the place?

What is the correlation between womens power and irrational behaviours in society. What is the correlation between womens control of say the health sector, and the abissmal statistics related to all things Health?

I suggest this would make a great thesis topic for someone in Higher Education (though good luck getting it approved in that female dominated sector), and is probaly one not tackled presently.

Other questions to be asked is just how much of the power positions on offer, are currently controlled by the feminist movement? What would be the result -socioecoomic- in a services economy, if (when) females became the dominant power in parliament? What will the male population be left to do in a martriarchal country/world order? Would warfare become a gender based occasion?

Should women be allowed proportional power?
Posted by Gadget, Wednesday, 9 May 2007 9:48:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gadget, you may think that the Qld public service is a real disaster, after years of affirmative action has filled the halls of power with incompetent labor ladies.
Male public servants are promoted only to their first or second level of incompetence, but most of these ladies have made it to their 5Th or 6th now.

It may be bad, but you had better hang on, one look at NSW, where its been going on for longer, shows how bad its likely to get.

Does Beattie want to be replaced by a woman because he knows she will stuff up so badly, that his failure will appear less in retrospect?
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 9 May 2007 1:22:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
R0bert, I'm afraid you are pretty much spot on the money. Pick a view then find a study to support it. Yes, it would appear that travel times and traditional outside jobs are often excluded from the unpaid work count. Also, watch that the 85% is not skewed by those mothers/wives that choose to stay at home. Really to be fair, we should only count working parents to determine whether unpaid work is equally shared.

Rebekka, it IS a personal matter. Dont denigrate women by insinuating that they cant choose nor negotiate. Yes there are plenty of oldschool views out there, from both men and women (eg my mother-in-law refuses to get a cleaner because she considers it "her" job), but you dont have to listen to them. If you take an outsiders views on your shoulders of course you are going to be unhappy. You need to negotiate issues with your partner. The more women choose not to have kids because they cant have a career too, the more men will be forced to play a larger care role if they want kids (and there are plenty of men out there that do want kids - its not an exclusively female desire).

When it comes to divorce and superannuation, court orders will require that super is split 50:50, so doesnt matter that husband's balance is higher initially. its then up to the woman to provide for herself after that.

Personally I choose to both work and be my childs primary carer (out of work hours). Why? Because I'm better at it, not because I'm female but because I am prepared to lay the boundaries that kids need, whereas my husband gives in. Financially we both contribute to the household running costs (in ordinary times), which includes the cost of childcare.
Posted by Country Gal, Wednesday, 9 May 2007 2:05:20 PM
I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it. 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation.
Margaret Thatcher, talking to Women's Own magazine, October 31 1987
Posted by aqvarivs, Wednesday, 9 May 2007 3:04:18 PM
Aqvarivus

That quote from Margaret Thatcher pretty much sums up what I said in my previous post.
Posted by Liz, Wednesday, 9 May 2007 7:55:29 PM
if we settled the major questions by referendum, and/or direct election of ministers, the question of gender imbalance would disappear. it's called democracy.
Posted by DEMOS, Thursday, 10 May 2007 9:01:05 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy