The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Could we have a more egalitarian society? > Comments

Could we have a more egalitarian society? : Comments

By Kirrily Jordan and Frank Stilwell, published 30/4/2007

Opinion polls indicate a preference for increased social spending, and a willingness to pay the taxes necessary to fund it.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Mia, mia, MIACAT: water crisis, skills shoratage etc etc etc -all this is a traditional English way of keeping colonies under London crown's rule.

Debility, lack of elementary modern education and playing computers rather than creative thinking that is what only imposed wherever round a globe a royal profile minted on even the smallest coin.

Oh, mere discrimination on biological basis where particular English accent is the most, subtle racism and modern apartheid are being omitted above.
Posted by MichaelK., Monday, 14 May 2007 6:53:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh MichealK, to quote something else that you have once said, and something just as deserving for it's innovative courage and might;

"The Commonwealth of Australia and majority of citizens will benefit from a republic that will open opportunities for those who can do jobs creatively rather than those who are privileged to be paid for an inherited sinecures as it occurs recently."

In reference to your post above; I say that "subtle racism" is not only about ethnic character, background, or affiliation but "creative ideas and ways of thinking".

For this reason I say "subtle racism" is a cultural discrimination moblised. Subtle, because it appears to lack colour, forms broadly as a structural violence - from top to bottom. Often invisible and the most distructive of all.

Posted by miacat, Tuesday, 15 May 2007 7:41:31 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oliver, " Cost of living is another factor. Someone living in Amidale does have to pay for a weekly train ticket from Glenn Brook to Town Hall, Sydney" - good point.

A couple of things that might help make the tax/income thing a bit fairer
- Make the costs of earning you living tax deductable. Public transport tickets for travel to and from work are a legitimate expense. Likewise child care for time spent at work and commuting for sole parents and couples where both parents work. The combo for me of train fair and out of hours care is around $150pw (about $200pw during school holidays if I don't take leave).
- Tie tax back to hourly income rates rather than gross income. Make the tax burdon relate to a certain number of hours of income. For those with plenty of time on their hands but not much cash let them do their share through approved community service work rather than cash.

Both ideas have some issues but I think those could be worked through and make the system fairer.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 15 May 2007 8:43:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
MIACAT, at start, such a thoroughbred fighter for "clean English" had supposed taking a stance at your broken grammar skills as “Micheal” was to testify.

However, I am really surprised that at least one of participants of this forum neither ostracizes me but even pays attention to my modest posts on these pages. I regret to inform, that you had surely my thoughts SCREENED while concluding real applications from modern national-liberal racism of “on-the-middle-of the-road fascists” ruling.

Thank you for you expressing a concern vital for this country and all her residents in plain straight English.
Posted by MichaelK., Thursday, 17 May 2007 3:33:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy