The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Slavery - the sadistic trade > Comments

Slavery - the sadistic trade : Comments

By Harry Throssell, published 27/4/2007

Officially slavery ended in Britain 200 years ago but now, ironically, there are more slaves worldwide than at any time in history.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Isaiah 3.45: Jesus said: "Gee I really hope nutters don't read the bible and then set about Christianising & terrorising”
Posted by Rainier, Sunday, 29 April 2007 10:12:15 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Clayton-; "if you take away that boys job you take away his brothers education, it's not slavery it's his hope for the future."

Clayton while what you say is true and a good point, it still doesn't excuse the rich global companies for not paying people in these countries more than a pittance and giving them decent working conditions. I heard of one incidence just lately where chinese women have to work for 10hours and are not allowed to go to the toilet in that time. How they do it I dont know.

These global companies then have the hide to sell these goods in Western countries based on Western prices. Maybe if all countries in the world agreed to only let these companies charge a resonable percentage of what they pay their workers to make profits then they would pay them more to get a higher percentage profit.
Maybe the united nations could bring this about. Only there are too many powerful people in governments with their hands in the till.
Posted by sharkfin, Sunday, 29 April 2007 3:59:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good, emotive stuff, slavery.

I notice that the first-mentioned group in the article are the Lord's Resistance Army. A quick look around found this quote "The LRA rebels say they are fighting for the establishment of a government based on the biblical Ten Commandments" (globalsecurity.org) and "Formed in 1992... the group promotes a radical form of Christianity" (MIPT Terrorism Knowledge Base)

This, of course, doesn't stop Boaz from his customary lecture on the evils of Islam. Does he ever stop and think before he writes, I wonder?

The article - unlike Boaz - makes no judgment on the position of religion in relation to slavery.

As well it might. The "Christians" of Uganda, the "Buddhists" of Burma, the "Muslims" of Sudan have only one thing in common. They are terrorists first and foremost. Their "religion" remains in quotation marks.

To select just one of these groups in order to point out their religious leanings is mere rabble-rousing. In fact, if there is one lesson to be drawn from this article it is that every "religion" has its extremist outsiders, and what they do by definition bears no relation to the label they carry, whether Christian, Buddhist or Muslim.

It's either/or, Boaz. Either you accept that there is something inherent in Christianity that leads to the crimes of the Lord's Resistance Army, or you accept that terrorism has no roots in religion at all.

Knowing you, you will want it both ways, and tell us that it is absolutely not possible for the LRA to be Christians, but entirely typical that the Sudanese Arabs are Muslims.

One day, you will realize the sin inherent in what you are doing. I hope I'm not around when that happens, because there will indeed be weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth as the realization of the damage you have caused sinks in.

Not a pretty sight.
Posted by Pericles, Sunday, 29 April 2007 4:27:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Regarding the sex trade in Thailand and poor countries like that I often think how different it could be if the men donated all the millions and millions of dollars they put through these sexual slavery dens to set up funds to house and educate these poor little girls some as young as nine years old. Its a well known fact that when the lot of women improves in any country, that countrys quality of life goes up immensely for everybody, men and women. Whereas men are happy to let all the misery stand if it allows them sexual dominance. Of course this would be Utopia.

The only ones who come close to Utopia on this planet are those who have control over their own lives and destiny. Even then there is are all sorts of dangers to avoid in every day life that can strike down even these lucky ones without warning. Cheerful aren't I?
Posted by sharkfin, Sunday, 29 April 2007 4:38:41 PM
"I was aware enough to wonder if that rug had been"
key word "wonder" Action taken? none.
Posted by Steel, Tuesday, 1 May 2007 12:08:05 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy