The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Acknowledging the grim reality - Iraq’s growing refugee emergency > Comments

Acknowledging the grim reality - Iraq’s growing refugee emergency : Comments

By Kim Huynh, published 30/4/2007

The flood of Iraqi refugees must be recognised as both a crisis and an opportunity.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Collective Securities is not about War, it must be about Crime Prevention, Community Safe, working to Problem Solve through International Goals in Sustainable Development.

War breeds more Conflict, it ruins families, displaces people and scars generations and future generations to come!

http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=5566

As Kim Huynh article states; "the evil face of terror fails to address the broader structural reasons that will perpetuate the conflict and produce insurgents and terrorists for many years to come."

Unwanted, rejected, displaced. People broken a part everywhere.

Are we prepared to accommodate them?

What is Australia's stand on this?

Iraq once a leader in Medicine has now thousands of sick or injured children, who could otherwise be treated by simple means.

These children are left to die in their hundreds because they do not have access to basic medicines or other resources.

Individuals who have lost hands, feet, and limbs are left without prostheses. Among them children with grave psychological distress are left untreated.

I demand that the revenues from Iraq's oil be passed directly to the Iraqi people.

The Iraqi people need this revenue to rebuild their country with its infrastructure, administration, and hospitals.

I demand that Australia assist by overcoming it's global indifference to this global human crisis.

I demand we redirect our strategies through sustaining strategies of INTERNATIONAL CRISIS MANAGEMENT.

We ALL must take responsiblity for this BLOODSHED!

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article2165470.ece

STOP this SHAMELESS DISTRUCTION.

STOP PERPERUATING THIS DISGRACEFUL WASTE OF CIVILIAN LIFE!

Iraq's people need services NOW.

Those displaced need the opportunity to go back to their country and rebuild.

We will not ever be able to change what we have done, but surely we can wake up to ourselves.

IRAQ Needs our HELP but not through this WILL for WAR

No one ever WINs a WAR but we all loose more than just one!

http://www.miacat.com
Posted by miacat, Monday, 30 April 2007 3:40:52 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"We must all take responsibility for this bloodshed"

Especially the Sunni and Shiites who are slaughtering each other in the thousands. Noone is twisting their arm and telling them to do this, in fact America is only staying there to try and stop them from killing each other.

"No one ever wins war but we all loose" Whole countries are won in wars and the prosperity and wealth goes to the victors of war for centuries and thousands of years to come. That's what the killing in Iraq between the Sunnis and the Shiites is all about, countrol of the country and oil wealth. The Sunnis had control of the country while Suddam was alive but now the Americans have inadvertently handed control of the country to the Shiites because they have the numbers to rule in the parliament. The Sunnis also dont wish to live under the stricter religous laws of the Shiites and who can blame them for that. The Sunnis were never forced to wear the whole black sheet thing under Suddam they were a lot more moderate.

The fall of Suddam set this civil war off but obviously this territorial hostility has always been festering between these two tribes or else it wouldnt have erupted like it has
Posted by sharkfin, Monday, 30 April 2007 10:22:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Especially the Sunni and Shiites who are slaughtering each other in the thousands. Noone is twisting their arm and telling them to do this, in fact America is only staying there to try and stop them from killing each other."

If an occupier dropped a bomb on your house, or raped your daughter, or an ethnic group brutally slaughtered your friends, what would you do? No drinking water, hospitals, police force... How can you people be so clueless? America isn't protecting anyone. In fact, they have done most of the killing. Combined with the destruction to the country, they have done arguably more damage than Hussein. They are fighting insurgents who want their country back and a few terrorists
Posted by Steel, Tuesday, 1 May 2007 12:22:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Steel
while you do have some points, this is plain wrong from what I can see:

"they (the Americans) have done most of the killing"

When something sounds too much like 'propoganda' it loses credibility, so I cannot regard your post with much significance at all.

What amazes me is how a leftoid lawyer in America can suggest that some Lebanese Muslims who were 'fundraising' for Hezbollah with credit card fraud, smuggled tobaco products and other schemes, and who practiced their military combat skills on the weekend (with semi Auto weapons) ...who were investigated for a period of YEARS, ..how this lawyer can suddenly come up with the claim that they were squeaky clean and claim it was just one of those 'convenient timing' and 'planned exposures' for pure political advantage by the Republican/Bush government.

Its clear to me that there are people out there, who, no matter how much evidence to the contrary, will simply stubbornly dig their heels in, and simply 'deny' that something with webbed feet, feathers, goes 'quack' and had a wide flat bill is in reality... a duck.

Such denials can only be equated with the 'peace in our time' of Neville Chamberlain.

In fact, I'll bet (no..I KNOW) that there are people in Australia who are of a similar ilk and without being too specific are involved in the defense of a a similar case in Melbourne. Had I not seen it with my own eyes in person, I would not have believed it.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 1 May 2007 5:38:29 AM
Perhaps the only way out is to partition Iraq and give each sect their own quarter.
Surely the religion of peace should be able to take in their own and accommodate them.
Moving the refugees to Western nations does not work, witness all the strife in countries that have extended help to Muslim refugees and how the same countries have been repaid.
Perhaps things may settle if the Coalition moved out and let the antagonists work out their own salvation .
Posted by mickijo, Tuesday, 1 May 2007 3:28:55 PM
"When something sounds too much like 'propoganda' it loses credibility, so I cannot regard your post with much significance at all."

That single statement is more accurate and less of a "'propaganda'" than your long laundry list of 'grievances' against islam and muslims, often in defense of christians. By your definition, most of your comments/posts are "'propaganda'". Does that mean they are of little significance? It is true however, that the Americans have killed an extremely large amount of civilians.
Posted by Steel, Tuesday, 1 May 2007 7:27:50 PM
The plight of Displaced peoples need our immediate attention Alma Ata.

I am sorry if my post above detracted from the point.

You are right - regardless of the War itself.... medical and socio-economic concern must be focused on the CRISIS happening for ALL those who have fled their homes, their families, their country... and who live now in desperation inside these refugee camps.

What is wrong with us?

This morning I found an article by Bob Hodge that points out how people (and like I did above) fall for the propaganda and language of war. Even though we try to resist it.

Who is Us and Who is the Other?

I also took note of the term "Collateral damage";

"Collateral damage' is one of many phrases used to minimise the loss of life and to sanitise the effects of the massive bombing which killed soldiers, women and children as well as men.'

http://wwwmcc.murdoch.edu.au/ReadingRoom/litserv/SPAN/33/Hodge.html

As you are aware from my previous posts, I am deeply concerned about basic issues - "Collective Securities" and Alma Ata", which both contribute to the way we shape our world, our society and provide Safety for ALL.

http://www.defence.gov.au/dpe/dhs/infocentre/publications/journals/NoIDs/adfhealth_sept02/ADFHealth_3_2_88-92.html

I found the article above - as I was looking up the "Crimean War" (1853-1856) a concern of Charles Dickens had between the shadows of his book "Little Dorrit" and by contrast his description of the Circumlocution Office see " Containing the whole Science of Government" - Little Dorrit - Chapter 10 - by Charles Dickens .

"...No public business of any kind could possibly be done at any time without the acquiescence of the Circumlocution Office"... and the point here being for me, on things that matter in every day life - to the life and well being of people.

We need to show more care - we need to allow those who can help turn humanity around to help. We need to learn how to take "responsibility" each and everyone of us in the ways we influence our affairs in "everyday" life.

See Below;
Posted by miacat, Monday, 7 May 2007 12:17:09 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
MAYDAY – MAYDAY- MAYDAY ALMA ATA!

People are dying in pain needlessly - while we argue about the wars going on (some 120 or more) throughout the world everywhere.

The author needs to hit harder with his dialogue and press us to each find a way to contribute our influence on the issue constructively.

I got lost by his "soft" approach and confused the essential point because of the distressing images I have of the Iraq war-zone itself.

We must do something about the “wellbeing” of the displaced peoples, for this is something we can do now.

Let Us Not Forget….

http://www.miacat.com/
Posted by miacat, Monday, 7 May 2007 12:28:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy