The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > PM's tactics muzzle media > Comments

PM's tactics muzzle media : Comments

By Sally Young, published 20/4/2007

How we follow the election will be determined by what we glean from the media, which is now controlled more and more by politicians.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
This post is like a W*nker's Club sitting in the dark and imagining someone is actually listening.

Instead of sitting at your computers and spouting waffle, why don't all of you get up off your big fat bums and do something!

Mainstream is where it's at, not here in the middle of another talkfest!

Talk is cheap - anyone can do it, even me!
Posted by Ian Mack, Tuesday, 24 April 2007 12:56:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why don't all of you get up off your big fat bums and do something?

John Howard's 'Run-away Train' economy is headed for the terminus driven by twin Coonanised media monopoly diesel engines and some smart arse gets up and tells all the passengers in his carriage to ....
"get up off your big fat bums and do something mainstream"?

As an example, the recent NSW election was gerrymandered by carefully inserted southern European immigrants across every NSW electorate, all voting for their boy Morris and tipping every key seat. These people would tear out Australia's still beating heart desalinate it for a fast million and make it home in time for lunch in Milan, leaving NSW like a leaderless run-away train.

Clearly the only mainstream thing we can do is to vote and the vote has been rigged.
Posted by KAEP, Tuesday, 24 April 2007 5:39:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
davsab,

John Howard can ask people to cry for rain all he likes as can Rudd for Constitution of the Commonwealth of Australia gave control of water to the States.

If Howard had control of water, he would not need to drag State Premiers to attend meetings to discuss this. He would just do it. Yet, like running schools, health, roads, public transport etc, the States have the Consitutional responsibility but the States ignore it, letting them go to waste then point the finger at Howard.

As much as I don't like Howard, it is not his Constitutional responsiblity and should Rudd become Prime Minister at the next federal election, who are the States going to blame then?
Posted by Spider, Tuesday, 24 April 2007 9:49:32 AM
For all the words are true.
Little has been suggested on how to change. I for one stopped buying newspapers twenty years ago. This because I was not being informed ie what was the bases of strike action. It was never satisfactorly explained but under the cover of, more pay and improved conditions etc.
Unions were constantly vilified, the vilification was/is rarely justified in the "news" even after learning perhaps vilification was justified, ie the wharfs.
The responsiblity for the "news" we get today is that of the reader or buyer of the paper. Circulations are in decline and it is of little wonder to me for it is disinformation that one reads if one is silly enough to buy them.
The internet became my news source, we now need people to publish their interests and names when posting. We then may be enabled to detect bias ie spin. This should be the criteria by which posters are allowed to post, it is so on some sites.
If newspapers want to regain circulation they need push for deregulation of media, refuse to publish govt. handouts including advertising. May they all go broke.
Nothing of this will happen of course.
Viva the internet.
fluf
Posted by fluff4, Tuesday, 24 April 2007 11:09:29 AM
Spider, you do have a point.

However, my point is that the federal government (through their involvement with the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change - UNFCCC) has for the last 10 years known about global warming. Each Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report that comes out is more confident in its results and more dire in its predictions, because the science is getting better all the time.

If you think the last two reports caused a stir, watch the proverbial hit the fan when the next one comes out in 10 days time!

Anyway, the Murray-Darling basin covering four states is a very major food bowl for us, the water-resources problems have been predicted by experts for ages and coupled with Climate Change problems as above, the Federal Govt should have done something about it way back - they haven't. Much akin to taken action on national security issues, the govt (of whatever persuasion) can take control of the situation.

BTW, there is very compelling evidence from CSIRO and others (also see NASA's G.R.A.C.E. twin satellite research data) indeed linking the current drought to climate change i.e. not to the normal cyclical events of drought that we experience in OZ.
Posted by davsab, Tuesday, 24 April 2007 11:22:21 AM
Being a bit provocative, I left a few posts last night on this site suggesting correspondents should get up off their big, fat bums and do something instead of sitting at their PCs pontificating.

To my great surprise there has been a negligible response. Some responders quoted my words, but then went on to pontificate anyway.

It would be nice to think that we as individuals can have some say in the silly, wacky world our pollies inhabit. The truth is that this isn't so!

All your laborious, intellectual responses are wasted here. Maybe you need to go and yell them out in Parliament House, Canberra.
Posted by Ian Mack, Tuesday, 24 April 2007 11:57:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy