The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Pakistani cricket fiasco > Comments

The Pakistani cricket fiasco : Comments

By Syed Atiq ul Hassan, published 22/3/2007

The Pakistani cricket team's humiliating defeat to the fledgling Irish team was much more than just that.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
"The shocking death then followed of 58-year-old South African Pakistani coach, Bob Woolmer" ... Woolmer was not South African. He was born in Kanpur, UP, before Indian independence, and played for England.
Posted by Faustino, Thursday, 22 March 2007 11:04:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think Inzy was made captain more for his ability to smack the ball into the fence, rather than his oratory skills (or his running between the wickets). And yes, not being able to speak English is not a crime in most countries.

And when listing the great players that helped Pakistan win the World Cup in 1991, our author forgets to mention Inzamam. Why is this? Without him Pakistan would not have got close. He is as forgetful as the great orator, Imran Khan himself, who forgot to thank his team mates in his acceptance speech when collecting the trophy.

If I can ask also a question in line with these statements in the article, "The favouritism and politics in Pakistani cricket is a major drawback in promoting fairness and professionalism." "There is a need to restructuring the whole process of national team selection." "Merit must replace nepotism and favouritism." Has there ever been a Christian player considered for selection in the Pakistan team, despite the country's significant Christian minority?

I would appreciate if someone could set me straight on this.
Posted by Mick V, Friday, 23 March 2007 9:20:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Have a look at Yousuf Youhana (check spelling of the surname). Brilliant batsman and should have been the first Christian captain. He had to convert to Islam if he wanted the captaincy and is now known as Muhammed Yousuf (spelling?).

Still in the team, not the captain any more. He's not the only Christian to ever play for Pakistan. Apparently politics and religion are more important than sporting prowess in Pakistani cricket. It's a real shame for a country where national identity is so closely tied to the team's performance. What's more important to ordinary Pakistanis? Do they want to win or not?
Posted by chainsmoker, Monday, 26 March 2007 1:37:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy