The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Only white girls can be princesses > Comments

Only white girls can be princesses : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 29/3/2007

Why do children prefer white dolls to black?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
It is difficult to fully understand the experience of racism, if it is unlikely to affect you personally. To dismiss anybody who expresses this experience as being a victim is sloppy. Racist comments, hopefully made mostly without intention to cause offence, is a fact of life for non ‘whites’.

The study sounds interesting, but CountryGal has a very important point in wanting to know how the questions were framed. Especially considering the age of the children. I’m a bit doubtful that children that young would have any more notion of race as they would have of gender.
Posted by yvonne, Thursday, 5 April 2007 11:09:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't suppose shorbe has any appreciation at all of how quintessentially racist was their most recent comment above?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 5 April 2007 11:17:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
C J Morgan: I was simply stating my (declared subjective) attraction to particular looks. I realise not everyone would find attractive what I do, and vice versa. I'm not saying there's any underlying rightness or wrongness to this. It's no more or less racist than saying I prefer a particular cuisine.

As for the bit about people from the British Isles, it's somewhat tongue in cheek, although it was interesting that my Irish friend volunteered that theory. Generally though, if you ask people to name countries from whence attractive people hail, the British Isles will not be high on the list. Straw polls on people's attractiveness to people from Brazil and the Czech Republic reveal the opposite.
Posted by shorbe, Friday, 6 April 2007 10:53:52 AM
shorbe they are all nationalities, not races, doh!
Posted by Rainier, Friday, 6 April 2007 2:14:39 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rainier, "Anthropology was born out of racist theory - It always gives me a giggle to see posters here trying to theorise and explain away its historical roots here on OLO."

Oh Rainier please tell us who's roots there lies the theory racism.
Posted by aqvarivs, Saturday, 7 April 2007 12:05:34 PM
I saw the documentary 'A Girl like Me' last year and I was shock at the results of the doll test. I'm sure many outsiders were surprise aswell. For those who don't know, or understand the history of African people in America and elsewhere its hard for them to relate to the people in the documentary. Slavery segregation colonialism did more than just kill millions of Africans. Those years of racism has left a long lasting effect generations after. Oprah Winfrey (one of the riches woman in America, descendant of African slaves)struggle with racism as an adult and child. Michael Jordan spoke about racism when he was younger also. Because Africans in America accomplished so much for the world to see still doesn't change their history.

Truthfully speaking, although people like Native Americans, Asians and others experience racism because their minorities and somewhat different to Europeans. I don't think they've been through the large scale global racism and discrimination the same way Sub Saharan African people have. When you look at slavery and how it removed millions of people from their natural homes , then you may get a full understanding of it. The effects of colonialism.The years of world and American media portraiting African people in products,movies,advertistment as inferior is still deeply rooted in many societies.
Posted by Amel, Wednesday, 11 April 2007 9:43:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy