The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why Cuba is a democracy and the US is not > Comments

Why Cuba is a democracy and the US is not : Comments

By Tim Anderson, published 15/3/2007

Cuba and the US head to head: let's compare governments, democracy and civil rights.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
Cubano, since we have never communicated before I will give you the benefit of the doubt and only suggest that you reread my last post. You got it wrong first time around.

Cuba occupies 42,800 sq. miles and has a population of just over 11 million with a GDP of $3,900 per capita.

The USA occupies 3,718,695 sq. miles and has a pop. of just over 300 million and a GDP of $44,000 per capita.

Now if for arguments sake, all else being equal, if Cuba held the US stats would it be the nation the USA is?
Would the USA change politically to become an exporter of the communist manifesto?

You could fit a couple of US States into Cuba but, would have to be very selective since only 13 States cover less area than 42,000 sq. miles. 37 States occupy areas that exceed 42,000 sq. miles.
31 of these States exceed 50,000 sq. miles and makes the claim that several States could fit inside Cuba slightly disingenuous. A rather back handed fact considering a preponderance of individual State area data exceeds Cuba's. I'm a generous guy and will let it slide but, I thought you should know.
Posted by aqvarivs, Sunday, 8 April 2007 1:21:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
aqvarivs:

I don't know about you being a "generous guy" but you sure are a funny one. First you want us to set the world upside down (no pun intended, my Australian friend) and then you have quiddities with such an arrangement.

For the record, Cuba is an archipelago consisting of thousands of smaller islands, isles and islets. The main island is 41,634 sq miles; but when you include the Isle of Pines (1180 sq mi) and the other isles, the territory of the Republic of Cuba is 46,736 sq m. And, of course, you can fit several of the U.S. states into that land mass.

Since you obviously take pleasure in these things, why don't you tell us how many states you can actually fit into the territory of Cuba?
Posted by Cubano, Monday, 9 April 2007 2:51:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cubano, Still avoiding my original question and want to focus on and
play at reverse, reverse questions. That is a tactic only the worst
trolls who visit OLO rely on to dissimulate.
Ok. I'll play.
How many times does Alaska fit into Cuba?
And for the record. I didn't ask you to set the world upside down.
I asked as an extension of the original premise if the roles were
reversed would Cuba be as some view the USA? A poor example of
Democracy and by similar reasoning, would they then assume that the
USA would have been Communist and a better democracy?
It matters not the total area of any given country. That is not what
determines it's existence as a Democracy or a Communist dictatorship.
Canada is larger in area than the USA and is a social democracy, and
China is larger again in area and is a communist dictatorship. And
Australia is smaller than all three and is also a social democracy.
Greece occupies 51,000 sq. miles and is a democracy.
Posted by aqvarivs, Monday, 9 April 2007 11:35:18 AM
Aqvarivs:

You are a bundle of contradictions, aren't you? I thought that you were funny, but now I see that you have no sense of humor and it is impossible to be funny without one. (BTW, as for the "worst trolls" remark, there you are being unconsciously funny). I was surprised, however, to discover on another post that you are a brilliant writer and thinker, but require a subject worthy of you; Christ is obviously such a subject but Cuba is not.

For the record, since you were the first to bring this up, Cuba is larger in territory than 19 of the 50 U.S. states and you could fit 8 of those states in it (Rhode Island; Delaware; Connecticut; Hawaii; New Jersey; Massachusetts; New Hampshire and Vermont) and still have 10,000 sq. m left. You are quite right that this proves nothing except that Cuba is not the pinpoint in the ocean that most people believe her to be.

And, yes, there are smaller countries than Cuba that are democracies and bigger countries that are not. This also proves nothing.

To compare Alaska to Cuba, however, is to compare a civilization to a frozen tundra and I, as a Cuban, do resent that comparison.
Posted by Cubano, Monday, 9 April 2007 7:03:55 PM
I can see you want to talk about anything but my original posting asking what I thought was a interesting question. So long Cubano
Posted by aqvarivs, Monday, 9 April 2007 8:56:50 PM
Aqvaris:

You do well to retreat since I don't think you even know what your original question was; nor does anybody else. Go back to apologetics where your dogmatism shines. So long, poor sport.
Posted by Cubano, Tuesday, 10 April 2007 6:01:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All