The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A book review of 'Inside the Asylum' > Comments

A book review of 'Inside the Asylum' : Comments

By Bill Muehlenberg, published 9/3/2007

In 'Inside the Asylum', Jed Babbin argues that reform of the UN is probably impossible.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Could not agree more!
A very good factual article about how toothless and flawed the UN is.
Posted by EasyTimes, Friday, 9 March 2007 10:43:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No, I haven’t read this book. So how dare I comment?
I dare, because a cat can look at a king, even if that cat isn’t a lecturer in philosophy and theology, and hasn’t read the book.
It sounds awfully one-sided to me.
The UN, through its agencies, such as UNESCO, FAO, WHO, continues to do positive work throughout the world, and has many thousands of dedicated workers.
Sure – there have been scandals, and some UN employees have exploited their position for personal gain.
Sure, the diplomatic and military efforts of the UN have been patchy, and probably fairly ineffective.
Muehlenberg thinks this book is a good starting point. It sounds to me like a very biased starting point. Overall, the UN has done much good.

What would be the alternative? - Would anyone trust “a coalition of like-minded states”?. I certainly wouldn’t. Look at the pickle we’re in because of the most recent “coalition of like-minded,?willing , states. Christina Macpherson www.antinuclearaustralia.com
Posted by ChristinaMac, Friday, 9 March 2007 10:53:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Though the UN commenced with high values and goals it does seem to have become a rather ineffective organisation. The term 'thugocracy' may well describe what it has become.

I agree that the UN has outlived its usefullness and a better option would be to form "a coalition of like minded states".
Posted by Barry L Fleming, Friday, 9 March 2007 10:56:20 AM
I HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK, HOWEVER, I AM NOT ALTOGETHER IN AGREEMENT WITH WHAT THE UNITED NATIONS HAVE ACCOMPLISHED AND NOT ACCOMPLISHED.
I BELIEVE, MANY OF THE MEMBERS AT THAT EXPENSIVE ROUND TABLE ARE HUMANISTS (MARXIST FABIANS/COMMUNISTS) AND THEREFORE, HAVE CONTRIBUTED GREATLY TO THE BREAKDOWN OF THE FAMILY UNIT AND ARE STILL BEAVERING AWAY TO ATTAIN THE UNESCO "BROWN MAN" ET AL. THIS CAN BE SEEN EVERYWHERE. SOME PEOPLE SAY, SUID AFRIKA, IS THE MURDER CAPITAL OF THE WORLD, WHAT IS THE U.N. DOING ABOUT THAT? AS IN ZIMBABWE, THE WHITE RACE IS BEING BRUTALLY TORTURED AND THEN KILLED. WHAT IS THE U.N. DOING ABOUT THIS? A WHITE FARMER, HORRIBLY TORTURED IN FRONT OF HIS WIFE AND SON. THEY POURED MOLTEN PLASTIC ON THE SON. WITH THE WIFE, THEY OILED HER SKIN WITH COOKING OIL AND THEN PUT THE HOT CLOTHES IRON ON HER. THESE ARE JUST THE "MILD" CASES. WHAT IS THE U.N. DOING ABOUT THIS? THERE ARE MUCH WORSE CASES BUT EACH ONE JUST AS HORRIFIC. WHAT HAS THE U.N. DONE FOR TIMOR? FOR THE WOMEN, WHO GET THEIR LIPS, BREASTS, CUT OFF BY SAVAGES IN DARFOR. WHAT IS THE U.N. DOING ABOUT THIS? MOST MEMBERS ONLY INTERESTED IN LINING THEIR OWN POCKETS AND DO THE ROUNDS OF COCKTAIL PARTIES. WE COULD CALL THEM, THE COCKTAIL PARTY CIRCUS FOR THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE, A CIRCUS.
GOD BLESS THE WHITE RACE.

EVIE
Posted by VANKLEEF, Friday, 9 March 2007 2:15:14 PM
wow vankleef.. say a few words there.. *ouch*....

May I make a few points ?

1/ White Race err there are many.. not just one. You might get a wider audience by not suggesting that 'white-ness' is a 'race'.

2/ Zimbabwe.. yes.. many whites are being 'dispossessed'.. just as they formerly dispossessed the 90% of Africans who previously dwelt there, and were forcibly relegated to the worst 10% of the land while the 'whites' took the 90% of productive land. So.. While there are many challenges and bad things happening in Zimbabwe, the reversal of a brutal historical wrong is hardly the foremost.

3/ The UN.. you correctly observe its a basket case, while others observe it does have some agencies doing a good job. Sadly, it is still prone to the same squabbles and corruptions of nation states.

4/ CAPITAL LETTERS for a whole post.. makes people feel a bit numb.

Finally.. God bless all humanity of any color. May each and everyone come to know Christ Jesus as Savior and Lord and enjoy that true fellowship which He alone can give

[for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.] Gal 3:27ff
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 10 March 2007 6:33:25 PM
Books Sounds Unconstructive.

Apathy breaths Apathy!

We need to do more than sling more mud!

We need Problem Solvers!

As has been discussed at the Brisbane "Engaging Communities" conference, there is a high demand for institutions seeking public interests to be strengthened in areas that can "build capacity" and "knowledge", so society itself can become more proactive in promoting participatory and transparent governance.

http://www.getinvolved.qld.gov.au/share_your_knowledge/un_conference/brisbanedeclaration.html

This I may say is also supported by the Civic Society Participation in International Governance Declaration when cooperation between UNEP and NGOs stated; civil society is necessary, it plays a direct role in the policy development and as an advocate for policies and strategies in the global environment.

http://www.unep.org/civil_society/gcsf/

and perhaps for local issues;

http://www.miacat.com
Posted by miacat, Saturday, 10 March 2007 10:48:37 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy