The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Refugees and asylum-seekers no threat to our security > Comments

Refugees and asylum-seekers no threat to our security : Comments

By Greg Barns and Howard Glenn, published 5/3/2007

Both Labor and the coalition have shown that each is as hairy-chested as the other when it comes to refugees and asylum-seekers.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Though refugees may not present much threat to Australia’s security, they would pose a threat to our social cohesion, especially if allowed to come here in the droves suggested by the authors. The statement about people settling here will benefit Australia economically is a blatant lie – where is the research? Analysis of our per capita income over 30 years in comparison with countries having little or no immigration proves immigration has no net economic benefit, not to mention the environmental damage.

The figures used to brand Australia as “mean” in comparison with Canada, Denmark and Switzerland are highly misleading. Surely Australia’s geographical isolation from the rest of the world is a factor? Also, no mention is made of how these other countries deal with refugees, and whether they are eventually repatriated.

Australia should accept refugees only on the condition that they are eventually repatriated. Neither should refugees ever be entitled to permanent residency or citizenship. Unfortunately this does not happen. Few refugees, if any, are ever repatriated. It would be far better, where possible, that Australia provides financial, educational and social support for genuine refugees in their home country. It is highly likely the bulk of so called asylum seekers arriving at our shores are nothing more than illegal immigrants using “asylum” as a short cut to get in here. The processing time would be shorter if it were not for the lies told by asylum seekers and the stalling tactics of refugee advocates.
Posted by Robg, Monday, 5 March 2007 5:08:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
John Howard is the greatest security threat to Australia aided in this by all political parties.

As Author of the INSPECTOR-RIATKTI® book on CD series, my principle issues are certain constitutional issues before dealing with emotional and other issues.

We have seen that Australians were locked up and even deported because the way it is being done is unconstitutional.
If politicians were to deal with refugees with DUE PROCESS OF LAW then you will find that people claiming to be refugees but are, so to say, rejected are faster out of this country then currently is being done, while those held to be genuine refugees will be avoided to suffer the inhumane conditions.
It is all a question of DUE PROCESS OF LAW and over the years, since TAMPA not a single political party has actually pursued to have this applied.

Constitutionally, a person can only be deported if the minister having decided a person requires to be detained/deported has the person charged with relevant offences and placed before a State Court and obtains a JUDICIAL DETERMINATION as it requires a JUDICIAL DETERMINATION to establish a person to be in breach of law.
What we now have is an ad-hoc process that Australians legitimately living in Australia can be deported with a denial of legal rights because not just John Howard but also other political parties refuse to accept a DUE PROCESS OF LAW to be applied.

Just consider if this process had been followed with Vivian Alvarez Solon, Cornelia Rau or others they would unlikely ever have been detained at all!
When politicians place themselves above the Constitution then this is what you get, they themselves are constitutional terrorist!
See also my website http://www.schorel-hlavka.com and my blog
http://au.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-ijpxwMQ4dbXm0BMADq1lv8AYHknTV_QH

Demand from politicians that they follow DUE PROCESS OF LAW and we might avoid having to have unconstitutional and inhumane detention centres also!
Posted by Mr Gerrit H Schorel-Hlavka, Tuesday, 6 March 2007 12:20:04 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
GERRIT,
I don’t believe we need lawyers involved in immigration issues. Immigration law has become a growth industry and I often wonder who is paying for all this litigation. I don’t imagine boat people would have the depth of capital to fund the endless appeals and I don’t think there are many lawyers who are not there for payday.
You refer to Cornelia Rau and how badly she was treated. I believe that local police took her into custody after a complaint. She refused to speak English and only spoke in German and gave a false name. The police had no idea who she was. There was no listing of her as a missing person. You are no doubt more familiar with her story than me but I feel she appeared above the horizon when her family and lawyers saw the potential for a damages payout.
Posted by SILLE, Tuesday, 6 March 2007 10:26:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That old liberal hater, Greg Barnes is at it again. What a lot of tripe they write, and lies too. Studies have shown that the only ones to benefit from coming here are the migrants. We get little or no financial or social benefits from allowing people to come here.

I will go along with a 90 day only detention if we scrap the appeals process and deport those that cannot validify their claims by then.

It is the continuing appeals process that keeps them in detention. they can leave anytime if they give up their claims for asylum.
Posted by Banjo, Tuesday, 6 March 2007 11:19:46 AM
Here is a part from The Australian Peoples Party Immigration policy

for the full policy go to www.tapp.org.au

• TAPP notes that immigration throughout the last century has been of great benefit to Australia; however it must be recognised that inappropriately high levels of immigration can be detrimental to employment, to national infrastructure, services and environment.
• Our immigration program is in urgent need of overhaul. An immediate hold on immigration is necessary until economic factors relating to Australia are dealt with.
• TAPP will rename the relevant government Agency by returning to its correct name "Immigration".
• Australian "citizenship" is a valued privilege. To qualify, it will be necessary to understand the Australian Constitution and laws and, after five years, pass a test in English and swear allegiance to Australia and its people.
• The carriers (airlines and shipping) who convey people to the country without documentation will be responsible for them. This includes immediate return to port of embarkation and any other costs incurred
Posted by tapp, Tuesday, 6 March 2007 12:11:00 PM
SILLE,

Considering the harm done to Australians, such as Vivian Alvarez Solon, Cornelia Rau, and others, the lack of applying DUE PROCESS OF LAW is the culprit. It doesn’t matter if Cornelia Rau spoke German or any other language, Courts are there to ensure that JUSTICE PREVAILS, albeit I admit they often get it wrong.
Their legal status can only be determined by a Court of law, not some public servant in an office!
And, the cost of getting them assessed and possibly deported in a legal manner would by far be a lot cheaper then now having huge cost on keeping them for prolonged time.
Unlike the current system a special Court could deal much quicker with cases and more appropriate and would be a lot cheaper in the overall.
Lawyers do not necessarily be involved unless the Court holds that the accused does not have the ability to comprehend the charges and proceedings.

TAPP

You got to be joking with “Australian "citizenship" is a valued privilege. To qualify, it will be necessary to understand the Australian Constitution and laws and”
Just check out my blog; http://au.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-ijpxwMQ4dbXm0BMADq1lv8AYHknTV_QH and you might just find that the “The Australian Peoples Party” or yourself of perhaps most people in this forum would not have a clue what their Constitution is about or for that matter their Constitution has been substituted with a fake constitution!
So, which Constitution is then relevant for “aliens” to learn?
Posted by Mr Gerrit H Schorel-Hlavka, Wednesday, 7 March 2007 1:03:59 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy