The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The fake morality of Al Gore's convenient lie > Comments

The fake morality of Al Gore's convenient lie : Comments

By Scott Stephens, published 20/2/2007

Environmentalism is the new 'religion of choice for urban atheists'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. 18
  13. All
Certainly brought out plenty of god haters and earth worshippers. Normally hapens when you uncover false religion. As one blogger commented you won't see to may greenies putting up their real estate for sale even if it is right on the beach. This Global Warming hysteria is hilarious and to think many have the audacity to question our Creator.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 20 February 2007 3:04:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Talk about dragging the Doomer groomers out of the woodwork, I note sneekpete has made her return to the earthly atmosphere once more;

I find the whole Environmentalism argument boring- dull- and quite silly; it seems to have some new age Religious connotation tantamount to a sacred Cow the Altruist Idiots need to worship ; to make up for their other short comings and self delusions of grandeur ;

Enviro SS;

If anyone is interested, you can learn the basic principles of Astrophysics and Cosmological cycle here in this Publication;
It is one of a great many;
http://www.thule.org/crustaluplift/index.html

Or if that is too difficult, a shorter essay is here;
http://majorityrights.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/138/

I don’t think paying some looter money for the privilege of Farting as a carbon tax trade off, and to relieve the guilt was just a Yes Minister Sketch; But it is not; Fairdinkum.
And this is the legacy for our future generations?

But in the Proletariat Labotomization process, I guess the sacred Cow and anti everything take precedence over scientific probability and facts.

Al Gore should be locked up for crimes against Intelligence; that is tantamount to Intellectual Terrorism and deserves a long stint in Guantanamo Bay in his Orange overalls; and he was vice President?
Posted by All-, Tuesday, 20 February 2007 4:04:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I suppose I'm one with the audacity to question your creator runner. If you can provide me with a mailing address where I can submit my queries, I'd be much obliged.

Anyhow... an amusing collection of railings against this article. Though I'm still a little sketchy on what you're all railing against. The title of this piece hinted at another global warming sceptic; but the content was a diatribe against those who refuse to compromise on the environment.

The flaw here isn't the author's take - it is morally sound, if not a little self righteous.

The flaw is that the author appears to be living in some mystical wonderworld - if success means approaching this from a practical standpoint: i.e. the importance of beneficial economics to induce a postive change, then by all means it is the way to go - that is merely pragmatic.

The author, whether it is intentionally or otherwise, raises the age old notion that the only true virtuous act is one that gives absolutely no gain to he who does so.
The problem with this ideal, is it places all acts into two categories - the virtuous and the selfish, and by the way they are categorised, all the virtuous acts will either harm, or provide no net gain.
So the only people that can possibly succeed are the selfish.

The ironic thing is, this system is inherently selfish, as it rewards the unjust.

Most amusing.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Tuesday, 20 February 2007 4:08:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Christian Scott is no authority on environmental change, he is an academic in theology. What on earth is OLO doing asking students in theology important questions on the environment.

He asks why we "suddenly" have to take this seriously.

There is no sudden seriousness. This has been a serious problem for a long time and some of us knew about this for 20 years. Its just that idiots like this theology science wannabe, claiming to be an expert, used to deny the evidence.

Now it is almost too late because fools refuse to see the writing on the wall.

I think OLO and Graham young cheapen debate in Australia by choosing such dimwits as this writer. This is really a cheap stunt. Shame on you Graham Young. Another black dot next to your name!
Posted by saintfletcher, Tuesday, 20 February 2007 4:54:38 PM
It seems as though this argument in general misses the main point and that is that we as a nation are responsible for only 0.04% of world pollution. A much better discussion would surely be, how on earth are we to get the real polluters, such as the USA, China, India and Russia to change their ways? Another point of discussion may well be that as the world heads for nine billion humans that perhaps we are well and truly over represented!
Brian2
Posted by Brian2, Tuesday, 20 February 2007 5:14:04 PM
No Scott. The issue is more simple and pragmatic than atheists worshiping the environment - combating Global Warming is about the human survival instinct. We didn't evolve intelligent brains to be stupid. It is a dumb thing to allow our villages, towns and cities to slide under the sea if we can prevent it.
Posted by TR, Tuesday, 20 February 2007 8:33:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. 18