The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A testimony of injustice > Comments

A testimony of injustice : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 31/1/2007

Queensland Premier Peter Beattie has failed dismally in his handling of the Mulrunji controversy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
"The QLD Police should activate as much Industrial action as possible including not offering him or any members of his government, protection from those who wish to get in their faces."

I hope so.

Then they can all be sacked and new blood brought in.

"Refusing the police to the right to defend themselves, by cowering to all threats of violence from Aboriginal groups will only lead to more violence."

So if someone punches you in the face, and their liver ends up split in two, you should never be charged? It's really quite interesting how many people are prepared to assume that Hurley must be innocent.

David Jackmanson
http://www.letstakeover.blogspot.com

Photoblog of 26 January Invasion Day rally, Brisbane:
http://letstakeover.blogspot.com/2007/01/invasion-day-in-brisbane-murri.html
Posted by David Jackmanson, Thursday, 1 February 2007 8:00:21 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not the first time, Aka
As I recall seven men were hanged in NSW in the 19th C. because of wanton shooting of Aborigines, some of whom were in custody.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 1 February 2007 2:40:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Roy was sitting in the station’s yellow chair when Chris Hurley dragged Cameron Doomadgee into the hallway. Roy heard [’Mulrunji’] say, “I am innocent, don’t lock … Why should you lock me up?”
Chris dragged him in and he laid him down here and started kicking him. All I could see [was] the elbow gone down, up and down, like that … “Do you want more, Mister, Mr [’Mulrunji’]? Do you want more of these, eh, do you want more? You had enough?”

Roy’s view was partially obscured by a filing cabinet, but he could see [’Mulrunji’]’s legs sticking out. He could see the fist coming down, then up, then down: “I see knuckle closed.” Each time the fist descended he heard [’Mulrunji’] groan.

Cameron, he started kicking around and [called] “leave me go,” like that, “now”. “Leave me go – I’ll get up and walk.”

But Roy says Hurley did not stop:

Well, he tall, he tall, he tall, you know … just see the elbow going up and him down like that, you know, must have punched him pretty hard, didn’t he? Well, he was a sober man, and he was a drunken man.

Doomadgee was then dragged into the cells. Moments later, Chris Hurley came back and Roy saw him rubbing his chin. Hurley had a button undone. “Did he give you a good one?” Roy asked. “A helluva good one,” Hurley apparently replied. Then Hurley asked Roy if he had seen anything. Roy said no, and Hurley told him to leave. Roy went to get his social security cheque, along the way telling some friends, “Chris Hurley getting into [’Mulrunji’].” They told him, “Go tell someone, tell the Justice Group.” But none of them did anything. They went on drinking.

The cell’s surveillance tape shows [’Mulrunji’] writhing on a concrete floor, trying to find a comfortable position in which to die. He can be heard calling, “Help Me!” Another man, paralytic with drink, feebly pats his head. Before he dies [’Mulrunji’] rolls closer to the man, perhaps for warmth or comfort.
Posted by Rainier, Thursday, 1 February 2007 3:10:47 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And the Police Union now want the recommendations of the Deaths in Custody inquiry implemented across the state.

Too little too late... but I'm wondering why the are now siding with what many of us and the indigenous communities have wanted for years?
(Actually my tongue is stuck firmly in my cheek.) As their purpose is quite the reverse of what others expect. ie they want them implemented to protect police from prosecution. Laughable really given the evidence in the recent case heard in Logan where it was found a policeman actually switched off the survellance recording while one of his mates was assaulting a prisoner.
Posted by keith, Thursday, 1 February 2007 3:28:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Keith, I'm sure the police union's motives are dishonest and hypocritical, but I'm just happy they've been forced to demand the right thing.
Posted by David Jackmanson, Thursday, 1 February 2007 3:54:36 PM
Mise,
I did wonder about the statement about this being the first time anyone was charged in Australia for a black death in custody.

I think that maybe the incident you mentioned was in the colony of NSW - not Australia as such.

Then again, maybe it was just outright murder and not in police custody.

I am not sure if the people murdered were in legal custody.

Maybe someone with more knowledge of histroy can inform us.

Still it is pretty scary that it is now the 21st century and we are having to look at the 19th century for another incident.

I note that an activist in Townsville is asking for police who do not agree with their union to speak out. I wonder if any will.
Posted by Aka, Thursday, 1 February 2007 4:18:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy