The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What happened to safe sex > Comments

What happened to safe sex : Comments

By Rob Moodie, published 31/1/2007

In the debate about who should deliver pregnancy counselling we seem to be ignoring an important voice - pro-prevention.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
LOTS TO BE SAID FOR 'RADICAL CELIBACY'.

Lonely, unsatisfying - all those negative human emotive issues, but
no social security problems, unwanted children, child support, or family law minefeilds to navigate for the predetermined amount of years.

Sex, in the purely biological sense, was never meant to be safe. It is a gamble, the genes issue, the lack of chemicals at the time of conception ( or the addition of chemicals such as alcohol, amphetamines etc ) & the great christian/moslem/religious [procreative] context of sex, marriage, forever - 'ness' is all fine and well 6,000 years ago in an Intelligent Design philosophy. After all the earth is still flat, palaeontolgy is no more ancient than 6,000 yrs past, and dinosaurs only died out recently didn't they?

Today... well the famous Marx Brothers quote is very applicable ( I think it was Groucho Marx ) who said: "Marriage is a great institution, but who wants to spend the rest of their life in an institution...?"

Casual sex...you get what you paid for or deserve!
Posted by Albie Manton in Darwin, Wednesday, 31 January 2007 9:11:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"For the record I have 3 grown ups who have had no problems accepting the fact casual sex is unhealthy and soul destroying."

I'm happy for you, runner, if your children accepted your guidance that sexual abstinence before marriage [or at least outside of a serious relationship] was right for them, and they managed to stick to it. But promoting abstinence for everyone doesn't result in less unwanted pregnancies and abortions, it results in more. The way it's handled in the Netherlands results in significantly less unwanted pregnancies and abortions and that's what we all want, isn't it?
Posted by Rex, Thursday, 1 February 2007 12:46:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The abortion rate is highest in the 20-25 age group followed by those aged 25-30. However it is markedly lower for those aged 15-20 where the number dropped and plateaued some years ago.

So it is likely that ignorance of contraception is not the only (or main) contributor, although many people could be blissfully unaware of the failure rate of contraceptives and place their reliance on one form of contraception alone.

More sex education would be welcome, but at the same time there needs to be a lot of work done to establish why so many apparently well educated women are experiencing unplanned pregnancies and are having to abort as a last resort. The solution is not as simple as reiterating the basics such as that antibiotics affect the effectiveness of the pill, or that a condom can come off and at the very worst time.
Posted by Cornflower, Thursday, 1 February 2007 10:10:23 AM
Don't pick on runner - he obviously badly needs to get laid.
Posted by spendocrat, Thursday, 1 February 2007 12:40:24 PM
We live in a highly sexualised society, the current fashion is for young women to look like street walkers, sporting tight clothes and impossible cleavages, as per

from New Words for 2007
MILLENNIUM DOMES. The contents of a Wonderbra, i.e. extremely impressive when viewed from the outside, but there's actually naught in there worth seeing

It's unlikely that abstinence is a serious option.

If we want to reduce the abortion rate then women should be routinely prescribed the long term under skin implants for contraception. Ooops a side effect is no period for 18 months, mmm, Libra won't like that but then it would reduce the problems overweight women have when they try to get pregnant for the first time in their 30s and might reduce the prevalence of gynacological problems in older women like fibrosis.

If we want to reduce the spread of STD's then its gotta be condoms.
Posted by billie, Thursday, 1 February 2007 1:12:54 PM
eh, I'm not so sure about Implanon (under the skin long-term contraceptive) - the information I was given (a pamphlet by an Ob/Gyn about two years ago) suggested that in 1 in 5 people would experience no periods (how would you know you wern't pregnant? I'd freak out), and that 1 in five people would experience constant spotting (what a pain)- frankly, an only 60% 'correct response' isn't my cup of tea!

But I agree with the article. I'm only in my mid-twenties, and looking back, the sex ed at my school was appalling - one or two embarrasing health classes given by a middle aged woman who seemed horrified by her topic, which was mainly an anatomy class, really. And mine was a co-ed public school!

Sex ed should be taught by professionals comfortable with the topic, perhaps from family planning clinics or similar, coming around to each school for a day of intensive information for each year level. Maybe then people would ask questions, not worrying that they would have to see that 'teacher' again?
Posted by Laurie, Thursday, 1 February 2007 1:49:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy