The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Telecast grief > Comments

Telecast grief : Comments

By Eleanor Hogan, published 17/1/2007

Steve Irwin's funeral was fascinating, but somehow it seemed to throw some of the worst aspects of Australian and American culture together. Best Blogs 2006.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Wow! How wonderful to read a view from someone who was thinking along the same lines as me. I've just returned from three months overseas in the US, UK and Europe. I stopped telling people I was Australian when they asked half the time because I was bored with responding to people's perceptions of Steve Irwin. Many people thought we ALL lived like him and were quite shocked when I told them I lived in an urban area just like them and wouldn't be interested in playing with any of our wildlife. It's about time we did something to promote more than this image overseas. Let's face it, Steve Irwin, rest his soul, was just another version of Paul Hogan when it comes to tourism value. There must be other ways to "promote" Australia but I guess that's in the too hard basket for politicians at the moment, who seem to really believe people like Steve are what we are -- indocrinated "true blue" nationalist patriots who will go with the flow.
Posted by Honest Johnny, Wednesday, 17 January 2007 9:28:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jumping Jehosapahat! See what happens if you stick a toe in the weird world of tabloid TV and the hangers-on. It's your own fault really. Simply don't go there. Resist the temptation to waste your life that way. Switch it off and read a book. If your friends insist on discussing tosh, change the subject or quickly discover an urgent task. And blogs ! You know what you must do.
Posted by Henery, Wednesday, 17 January 2007 3:30:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh the spectacle, the patriotism, the tear drop falling on a crocodile that we should never have smiled at or waited a while for.

Oh

Bindi

Our very own Lisa Maree, so brave but yet so hollywood too.

Our very own Trueman show!
Posted by Rainier, Wednesday, 17 January 2007 4:17:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks, Henery. I read plenty of books but sometimes it's important to go across the world and circulate among others who don't read anything at all. That's how you learn how the majority of people think and vote. We live in an oral culture so you can't ignore tabloid TV. That's what the majority are caught up with. This is how Honest Johnny is able to manipulate and deceive them, especially near election time!

Indeed, as the other commentator stated, Bindi has become our own Truman Show. All we have to look forward to now are all the corporate promotions she'll be sucked into over the years beyond Australia Zoo.

Bindi: "I'd like to thank the Howard Government for sending me to the US ... I'd like to thank Qantas, previously owned by the government, for sending me to the US ... I'd like to thank Telstra for paying for me to call all my new friends in the US ... I'd like to thank ...." Get the picture?
Posted by Honest Johnny, Friday, 19 January 2007 8:27:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy