The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The ACTU (still) knows better > Comments

The ACTU (still) knows better : Comments

By Joel Butler, published 15/1/2007

The ACTU and the ALP seem to be advocating an archaic paternalism in their approach to industrial relations.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
There has been an increase in the proportion of the workforce employed casually, teachers, child care, factory, shop and nurses. The current minimum standards of AWA'a don't address the needs of these workers like minimum call out time, extra payments for certification. The ATO doesn't allow these workers to claim travel allowances.

Permanent employees in large companies find they have to work longer hours for the same pay and many professional jobs that were done in Australia have been outsourced overseas.

It appears that some people on work for the dole schemes may have worked on Christmas Day for no pay - just to keep their $180 per week welfare payment.

The ALP (wrongly in my opinion) wants to allow self employed contractors to negotiate their own conditions. There are a few self employed professionals who have enough clout to negotiate their own conditions but many so-called contractors are employed by Coles as cleaners, Virgin Airlines as cabin crew and they are in a take it or leave situation being paid very low rates.

So the low paid and powerless need to have their voices heard and be represented at the bargaining table - the ACTU is the only entity that appears to be doing that.

Is this a good time to mention the General Discussion on Record Low Unemployment at http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=363
Posted by billie, Tuesday, 16 January 2007 8:39:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can't help wondering what the world would be like if we had very clear cut rules. Like more then three hours overtime is too much. Without vague, open to opinion, guidelines lawyers would not be able to stretch cases out, would have little grounds for argument. Lawyers love ambiguity to them that means cash. So it’s no surprise that they don’t like it. As to the matter of work place I seem to recall it was unions that fought for a good conditions for the workers, I don't seem to recall reading about how all the coal mine owners got together and said lets get the kids out and move to a 8 hour day. I work for a US company we charge our Australian customers market average for work around $150 an hour. However we also offer our clients the option to use third world resources in India and China. Then we only charge $50 an hour. This government has made it possible for us to bring over third world engineer for three months at $7 an hour,. I’m sure they have Australia’s best interest at heart.
Posted by Kenny, Tuesday, 16 January 2007 8:53:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tapp,

I gave you my ideas on education on a previous thread, which you acknowledged. You say that I am “entrenched”. That's not how I would put it, but I work in my own way, so I won't be joining your political party.
Posted by Chris C, Tuesday, 16 January 2007 12:22:32 PM
It seems that many posters are confusing the ALP'S recently announced position on the Independant Contracter Bill,with a softening of its stance against the Workchoices Legislation. They are seperate matters. However i accept the press reported it all in a misleading way. It suits them to muddy the waters. As for Mr Butlers latest contribution, i advise him that getting exploited is an emotive matter.You should expect strong responses against your support for these unfair laws. As one poster mentioned you are iether naive or oughtright mischevious in your article. If (as you claim) you are a teacher at Bond University i certainly would not be valueing any degree that came from that institution.
Posted by hedgehog, Tuesday, 16 January 2007 1:09:43 PM
Chris C
When i said entrenched it was a saying that you are engrossed, firmly planted
Also i didnt ask you to join i asked you to email me as i wanted to know more.

If anyone wants to join this party that is not my choice, all i have done is give you an option for change, nothing else.
Posted by tapp, Tuesday, 16 January 2007 2:18:47 PM
Part 1
During the first actions to "simplify" awards, allowed clauses were reduced to twenty (20) and relentlessly the Government has reduced those allowable to a mere five.
The reaction to this attack on "Workers" conditions depends upon whose shoes you're standing in.

Due to retirements and redundancies, there are not very many currently in the workforce who can recall the struggles that were waged to secure the conditions which were deleted.
Reduced annual leave; non-compulsory Unionism; re-classification; multi skilling;12 hour shifts; Loss of penalty rates; Denial of the right to stop work ;Reduction in allowed Union meetings; Imposition of fines on workers under the Trade Practices Act are just some of the issues which have benefited Employers at the expense of Workers Rights.

The Howard Government’s conspiracy with Patrick Stevedoring to encourage the training of scab labour in Dubai in order to smash the MUA remains testament to anti-union policies of his Government which purports to work for the benefit of Australian Workers.

Union Membership has declined as some workers elected to accept benefits secured by Union action without contributing to the costs and the importation of foreign labour which is quite prepared to work for reduced pay has not helped.
The resultant Union strategy to amalgamate has not proved in practice to increase Union effectiveness. In many cases, services have declined and become less personal.
Posted by maracas, Tuesday, 16 January 2007 2:25:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All