The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > When relationships prove to be a headache > Comments

When relationships prove to be a headache : Comments

By Greg Barns, published 15/3/2007

With the signing of the joint security declaration with Japan, some in Beijing are wondering whether Australia is trying to be all things to all people.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I'm all for the Japan treaty - I don't really see any reason why not, aside from a little huffing and puffing, ultimately China won't be all that fussed by it.
As for it being used to invoke Australia against China - I sincerely doubt that will happen. It's a pretty passive document.

This development with India on the other hand... this one worries me.

As the prime minister has pointed out, the Japan pact isn't directed at China.
I dare say China does figure in the equation, but that doesn't really matter - the thing is, it still allows Australia wiggle room, and Australia can certainly back out of any direct confrontation with China.

If the pact includes India however, we have a very different story. It will be quite clear to Beijing that this is a direct move to contain China, and benefit their most direct competitor. I can't see China seeing this as anything else.

The smartest move by Howard would be to endorse the Japan deal, but back away from the India deal. This would effectively mean, that Australia has satisfied the US that it is a part of the western solution in the Pacific, while simultaneously reassuring China that we aren't going as far as to antagonise them.

I have a horrible suspicion, that based on Howard's past decisions and close relationship with the American administration, that he will sign up to this deal.
This will be one piece of foreign policy that will really differentiate Howard and Rudd.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 15 March 2007 3:09:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Opinions vary as to the significance of the Geraldton base. Some say it is part of the so-called "Star Wars" Edition 2 plan. Nevertheless it makes us a target for enemies of the US & they seem to have not a few of those atm??

>>http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/us-gets-military-base-in-australia/2007/02/14/1171405295243.html<<

TRTL, to what Indian pact are you referring? It is generally accepted that India will overtake China withinh ?10 years as the world's biggest economic power. Therefore it seems wise to keep friendly with them as well??

I agree it is nonsensical to hold the behaviour of the Japanese in WW2 against them now. I do believe however, since we are discussing N Korea & China, that they were our allies against Japan in that war, as were the Vietnamese. WW2 in our region became an Asian nationalistic war against colonial powers, to put it in general terms, in the foolish hope that they would escape European occupation. I think alignment with the US is a desperate clinging to the Eurocentric view of how Asia should be run. As if Asia is one nation!!

So far this clinging has bestowed the Iraq fiasco upon us & no doubt also was the root cause of the Bali bombings.
Posted by achenne1, Thursday, 15 March 2007 5:23:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Those who actually read the document posted at http://www.dfat.gov.au/geo/japan/aus_jap_security_dec.html
will see that there is no reason for concern with this security agreement. It's very benign and recognizes the inclusion of the Asia Pacific region and working with APEC, ARF, and EAS.
It's hardly a go it alone battle plan to attack china. The lefties really need to simmer down and not plant hysteria at every move the government makes.
(I promise you. The glorious left will rule Australia again...but so will the right, again, as we bounce between extremes governed by polls and blaming our leaders for not anticipating the latest fashion delivered with our morning news. I'm still struggling with the death of Anna Nicole Smith. I've kept the kids from school so they could grieve but, if someone else doesn't do something to dominate the news soon I fear my children may miss a year. I can't send them to school with this kind of uncertainty. Especially not now that Japan and Australia have decided to attack china. Kevin Rudd save us. Save us from the madness. It's madness I tell ya!)
Posted by aqvarivs, Friday, 16 March 2007 6:26:15 AM
"TRTL, to what Indian pact are you referring?"

In recent days it has been reported in the media that the US is pushing for a quadrilateral alliance including India, Japan, Australia and the US. It is quite evident to all that it would be an exercise in containing China.

I agree that India is quickly growing and we should maintain close ties - but ultimately, we don't have to antagonise China to do so.

The benefits of neutrality are often understated.

I am all in favour of the Japan pact however, as there is little possibility of negative fallout.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Friday, 16 March 2007 10:33:04 AM
I have fear of what is happening in the world and how real all these new partnerships might feel, given our world history against the current climate.

However, fear aside, it makes sound sense to partner Japan on security issues. I understand, I think, Japan is one example of a nation who tops the world in it's contribution to the UN. I do not believe WAR and TERROR is on Japans mind.

While I strongly disagree on it's whaling protocols, it is a nation with high expertise and organisation in trade manufacturing, IT and science. It is a good economic example in the way it has slowed the pace of its Ying. ie: Once traveling too fast, it down graded it's value, lent heavy overseas to loose some of the heat through it's economy only to win it back as the over inflated monetary values of other economies began to fall. Clever Stuff. Given that it is a country who had less then (anyone else) 50 years ago, after ww2, it is an astounding performance.

As a case study it shows what a nation can do when it turns its populations focus from defense to knowledge growth.

I believe NZ sets this example in a similar way.

We have a lot to learn from the TOJO - Japan.

China is struggling.

As always this tiger will, until it grabs its fundemental values and emancipates its population as a whole.

China is more of a threat to itself then everyone else. It is sad that a country like this cant balance its own light. Ying with Yang!

Look at Chinas role in Vietnam, Tibet and on issues of HUMAN RIGHTS.

We all have problems and pointing the finger without some balance means we will always repeat our own mistakes.

I want to see partnerships and I want to build trust where ever we can.

If you drive a Japanese Car, use a Japanese computer, then you need to ask yourself why!

http://www.miacat.com

Posted by miacat, Sunday, 18 March 2007 12:50:27 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy