The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mulrunji Doomadgee - we deserve to know the facts > Comments

Mulrunji Doomadgee - we deserve to know the facts : Comments

By Selwyn Johnston, published 20/12/2006

If this unholy mess is not sorted out in very short order there will be a lot of disappointed if not angry people about.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. 26
  11. All
None of us were there and i will assume none of us have been privy to the facts/evidence that the DPP has had.

Whilst on the surface it seems like this is a poor judgement, i dont think the DPP did anything other than their job, and made the only decision they could baesd on evidence.

When a situation erupts and an environment of violence follows, it can be an intense and at times fearful situation. The heavy handedness of the police in response to Mr Doomadgee on that day resulted in his death, but these police as with most police in violent situations did not attempt to kill anyone, it was an unfortunate accident.

Whats wrong with the whole situation is that the Police could not integrate with the community on palm island and lived seperate lives adjacent to a population they are meant to protect and serve. With this fact and the fact that the police had lost respect for many in the population due to frequent incidents and segregation, meant the police dehumaned many of these people and the lack of empathy and respect meant they became more force assertive than they should with past history and fear in the back of their minds.

I think the mental state of the police in that remote community was not right to begin with, and the environment they are subjected to combined with an intense situation means bad decisions and actions where taken.

I am glad im not sorting it out, i feel sorry for Palm Island. If it where my family id be just as angry.
Posted by Realist, Wednesday, 20 December 2006 11:51:07 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Our laws and our opinions all seem to echoing the English rule of law which the Aboriginal people have been coping for 250 years. Beatie telling them on Palm Island that "we'll have a new start" doesn't even come close to mending the chasm that divides our nation. Until we meet Aboriginal where they are at, we will never be a united nation. There are to many scares from the past that have never been properly dealt with, and Mulrunji Doomadgee death is just another cut in their flesh from an unjust legal system.
Posted by Pidgeon, Wednesday, 20 December 2006 12:27:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The injuries suffered did not result from a fall. How were they sustained is the question. Claire didn't answer that. The Coroner did. The bulling b.....d is as guilty as sin.

A court would also find an answer to that question.

I think a court should decide ... not a bungling bureaucrat who is open to influence and bullying unlike our independant apointed and traditional Judiciary.

I'm outraged and I'm not aboriginal.

I reckon the Police Union, the Government and Claire have cut a deal.
Posted by keith, Wednesday, 20 December 2006 1:30:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I want to add My voice to those who make the point that the coroner and the DPP work to different standards of proof,the former only has to make a case "on the ballance of probabilities " where as the later has to work on the much higher standard of "Beyond reasonable doubt.' a much higher hurdle to cross.
So as I see it this case will cause outrage from the usual suspects now or later after the aquital that would have to follow a case based on such flimsy ADMISSABLE evidence.
I wote about this topic at my own blog here http://boltwatch-watch.blogspot.com/2006/12/beyond-reasonable-doubt.html
Posted by IAIN HALL, Wednesday, 20 December 2006 2:28:15 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One of the basic tenants of a democracy is that our system of government functions fairly and justly for the benefit of all, and is not open to pressure or manipulation for the benefit of an individual, an organization or even the government itself.

In a democracy, justice must not only be done, but must be seen to be done, and in the recent desision regarding Mulrunjie Doomadgee justice has certainly not been seen to be done.

I have always been one of the so called silent majority and have never written to a newspaper or participated in a forum such as this, but I am so disgusted with what I see as a racist decision designed to appease some behind the scenes powerbroker that I am adding my voice to the protest.

It is my perception that we now have a government in queensland that is so confident in its ability to run ove the top af a woeful opposition that it does not even make any pretence to hide its arrogance, and the Doomadgee decision may be just the tip of the iceberg.

I believe that the only way now to bring some credibility into this farce is for an open and independant review of all aspects of the recent decision, and justice must be seen to be done.
Posted by Peter28, Wednesday, 20 December 2006 3:39:30 PM
AnthonyMarinac and Others,

I think many posters who are against an independent review of the DPP's decision miss the relevant procedures of law altogether.

An independent review would not just examine the DPP's examination of the case but would also examine all the evidence collected and legal opinions put forward including that submitted by Clements, the Deputy State Coroner.

But despite calls for this review the Beattie government has indicated a reluctance to interfere with the "independence" of the DPP.

This reluctance is not based on any legal reasoning as independent reviews have already been conducted in two other very public cases.

These legal cases involved

• Pauline Hanson
• Di Fingleton and the
• Volkers prosecutions.

If you admire Beattie for being somehow ‘ethical’ and accepting the ‘umpire’s decision’ then surely you would have absolutely no cause for concern if the DPP’s ruling was reviewed. Why would you?

If the DPP’s ruling is water tight it should of its own volition survive any external and independent review.

Or do you really believe justice has been served thus far to all concerned?
Posted by Rainier, Wednesday, 20 December 2006 4:48:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. 26
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy