The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Rudd’s ideological wedge against Howard > Comments

Rudd’s ideological wedge against Howard : Comments

By Justin Whelan, published 11/12/2006

Kevin Rudd is the most philosophical leader of a major party in living memory.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Kevin Rudd's biggest drawback is that he is a politician.

By that I mean that he has never had anything to do with the real world where we non-politicians are forced to live.

Dux at school, then Uni, then DFAT, State politics then Federal politics.

A seemingly smart erudite and articulate man with a good brain, but with absolutely no experience of having to work at something constructive or useful.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 12 December 2006 9:23:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thats a bit tough pericles,

He created his 'real world' for himself. He should not be shunted if he was good enough to be dux, he went to uni then entered his chosen industry/profession.

Id say hes done pretty well myself, he has had the smarts to work hard and he has acheieved at everything hes done. I suggest he may achieve if he became PM too.
Posted by Realist, Tuesday, 12 December 2006 10:06:47 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The reality is that the ALP and unions have become irrelevant to Australians circa 2006. When I started voting and became a union member 30 years ago both these institutions had quite some political clout. Out of touch union officials droned on and on about insignificant agendas while the workers realised that the future was all about lifestyles. The ALP just droned on and on and ended up with liberalesque policies. Sorry Mr. Rudd your party and major backers have no alternatives to offer Australians.
Posted by passenger, Tuesday, 12 December 2006 4:55:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well said Leigh and Pericles!

Labor has many issues internally. Rudd in particular has been a big player in the constant stream of occupants of the Opposition Leader's job. He has made too many enemies through his activities. Who cares what Rudd's background is? It's his policies and actions that matter.

To me the biggest problem he has, other than the rodent of course, will be Peter Garrett. We all know of Pete's passion for the environmental issues and frankly I agree with what he has stood for. The problem will be that Pete is in the wrong job. He won't be able to live with the restrictions that a Caucus will ask of him and that will blow their whole attempt. I believe that Pete has a conscience although he has put it away to try and make a difference.

Being told what to vote for will not sit easy and he will rightly break the restraints in time. I don't think he will be able to do that when the time comes despite his current agreeable comments in that regard. That's where Howard has already focused, nuclear as it is Labor's Achilles hell (intended), one of many really.

As to Rudd wedging Howard. Good grief. Don't you follow Howard's history. It's a simple routine now.

Welcome the new Opposition leader, announce the honeymoon is expected. Wait for the newbie to fire his big guns and simply defuse them to remove those from the table. Note Iraq. It was only a day or two after Rudd's final attempt on that before JWH actually conceded Iraq's situation "may not be ideal". Nothing heard since right?

As to IR. No it won't be big for the media but it is biting people now. Their hours are just being cut back so they have to try and survive on a lower wage. Result? Poverty or move on allowing cheap labour behind them. I too know others being hit this way right now, just before Xmas. They won't be able to forget that.
Posted by RobbyH, Friday, 15 December 2006 9:28:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy