The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Rhetoric of choice clouds dangers of harvesting women’s eggs for cloning > Comments

Rhetoric of choice clouds dangers of harvesting women’s eggs for cloning : Comments

By Renate Klein, published 30/11/2006

Women should not be sacrificed to the vested interests of the biotechnology industry.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
"But the secret of why so few feminists have not previously opposed the harvesting of male sperm, is of course that many feminists want male sperm so that single women or lesbian women can have babies through IVF, without the need for a husband or without the need of having a father to the children."
That's a great point. People should not listen to feminists because they are inherently sexist and that prejudice leads to discrimination in debates on important issues.
Posted by Steel, Saturday, 2 December 2006 5:02:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When the harvesting of male sperm requires a surgical and invasive process and the taking of fertility drugs, then I might consider opposing it.
To be honest, i don't oppose voluntary egg donation either, as long as the women involved are fully informed of the risks.
It is exceedingly hard to take some of the "men are hard done by" camp seriously when they try to equate the degree of difficulty of male sperm donation ( a wank with a dirty magazine will achieve it, I believe. Probably quite pleasurable, if a little embarrassing) to the degree of difficulty of egg harvesting. Or when they do the same with male circumcision (a nasty little operation that I would certainly have resisted if I'd had sons - but my husband was dead keen on - we had the fight, but fortunately had daughters, but which leaves little if any permanent damage, and certainly doesn't prevent sexual pleasure -just ask my husband) with female circumcison ( a cruel and disfiguring procedure that in extreme cases both destroys the capacity for sexual pleasure, indeed, rendering it agonisingly painful - and can make childbirth both more agonising and potentially more deadly.)
men are hard done by, often, particularly in the limited range of emotions they are allowed to show and the rigid straightjacket of "acceptable" masculine behaviour, and they are often shortchanged as fathers and husbands. I think it is appalling men are expected to put women first on a sinking ship, or that they used to be the only ones compelled to risk their lives in combat. that was discrimination, pure and simple. But they weaken their case when they use spurious examples and comparisons.
Posted by ena, Tuesday, 5 December 2006 1:27:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ena,
Your attitude towards male sperm donors would be representative of the attitude of many feminists I believe, and it is the main reason why men should never donate sperm. I won’t even bother quoting what you have said about male sperm donors, as such language is only fit for a male maligner.

I don’t believe the physical risks to women when donating eggs would be all that great, as doctors would not risk the possible litigation by carrying out an unsafe procedure. But I certainly would not be supportative of women donating eggs, because eventually those women will be regarded as having no more value than male sperm donors.

I also don’t like what biotechnology and genetic engineering firms do with eggs and sperm after it has been harvested. For example: - mixing human sperm with animal eggs. Next they might decide to mix human eggs with animal sperm.
Posted by HRS, Tuesday, 5 December 2006 4:20:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy