The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A naive senator becomes media savvy > Comments

A naive senator becomes media savvy : Comments

By Sally Young, published 13/11/2006

Family First Senator Steve Fielding is learning fast about how the media system in Australia works.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Senator Fielding was not the only Senator who voted for the media law change.
Why pick on the only Senator,who does not follow the Australian Mono Political system of LIBLAB.
No media baron has ever stood up for the independent voice.
Over the last century Australians have been sheparded like sheep to believe whatever the media says.
The majority of Australians I talk to did not want Telstra sold.
If one independent voice spoke out for the people's wishes it was always the media circus that wins the day.
The advertising revenue that the State and Federal governments control over the media is the issue not who owns what media outlet.
The largest advertisers are the government of the day,as such they dictate what the public read.
Some days the paper will even put up a laim editorial,knowing the next day the Government will publish a full paid add in the next edition.
The Australian Media is being manipulated just like in the days of Soviet Union.
Welcome to the Peoples Republic of Australia,long live the sheep.
Posted by BROCK, Monday, 13 November 2006 10:53:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Sally you're right.

I'm very scared about the changes in media. Howard doesnt yet seemed to have worked out that Bush doesnt make foreign policy any more (at least not by himself) Where are the media informing Australians about what they really need to know?

All we get on commercial TV is dance competitions, so-called current affairs and endless trivia.
God help us. Thanks Steve Fielding and all the others who gave us the new media laws which take us back to teh dark ages.
Posted by Bondi Pete, Monday, 13 November 2006 11:13:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
On the subject of media in the pockets of political parties.

It just ain't democracy - Neo-Economedia.

The Australian motto of a fair go in Politics appears to be flawed when major political parties are awarded $1.97 per vote.

The cost the Australian Tax payers is around the $60 000 000 dollar mark, paidout at the end of each election to those candidates who have received more than 4% + in the electoral votes.

Liberal and Labor normally pocket around $20 000 000 dollars each. With the outstanding amount going to other fringe parties such as the Greens.

It is disturbing to find that Corporate Media have already been given in advance a chunk of the presumed votes dividends for advertising the major parties.

It is then the media's job because of the large amount of future advertising contracts at stake, to push the political parties who has spent more advertising dollars with their business.

A communist agenda of mock and ridicule are part of the strategy to protect these lucrative contracts on behalf of those who are frightened of losing their jobs.

It time to Break the Bond
Posted by Suebdootwo, Monday, 13 November 2006 11:19:32 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
These politicians have no idea
only interested in their own agenda

maybe if you ever get to it, email me and look at the Australian people Party's constitution.

And also if you knew something about me you would understand.
Not some back room polly but a real person, not like some of the people that come here.

email:swulrich@bigpond.net.au

Really what have you got to lose they have already taken everything.
Posted by tapp, Monday, 13 November 2006 1:13:21 PM
Please all of you don't get upset, Connie Rice will be back soon to tell us what our foriegn policy will be, she may even give us a peek at what our enviromental policy will be in the future.
Posted by SHONGA, Monday, 13 November 2006 4:15:33 PM
Is anyone else here concerned that somebody who has such poor understanding of something as fundamental as media ownership could be elected to participate in the running of the country?
Posted by chainsmoker, Monday, 13 November 2006 4:52:31 PM
BROCK,

we are all aware that the major parties are crooked to the bone, and that they will sell the soul of our democracy for favourable soundbites.

Steve Fielding is different but, his support for the legislation indicates that he is simply a moron, in his speech to parliament he admitted that he didn't really understand the implications for the major media players.

So basically we are paying him $112,000 a year to 'not fully understand' the implications of this extremely important legislation.

Maybe the Senator thinks he has something to gain from this, but as soon as he is of no further use they will burn and bury him (just ask Ms Hanson), and frankly I cant wait.
Posted by Carl, Monday, 13 November 2006 4:57:48 PM
Steve Fielding,as far as it concerns me and my family,is not even cosidered,we will put him and his party at the bottom of the list,they sold the working family to John Howard to do as he pleases,the IR,AND NOW WE HAVE TO TOW THE LINE,OR ELSE
Posted by KAROOSON, Monday, 13 November 2006 6:14:32 PM
Fielding is a theocrat and the mass media support theocrats because religion has a ready made manufactured audience which follow the orders of theologians.Count the references to Jesus in any large newspaper if you stepped of the boat you would think Australia is not a secular society. I personally have stopped reading two major news papers because of this, I regard superstition a sign of low credibility for a news provider.

Certain Tv shows depend on the ratings created by those told what to watch by their pastors.

The down side is the same are also told what to complain about by their pastors.

Fielding represents only members of the Pentecostal cult. Karsoon your working families are not gods chosen who will be raised up by the rapture (suspiciously over due since the 1880's).

The definition of the "Family" in the title Family First refer to the Family of the cult of pentacostalism , not those damned heathens the mum and (or) dad families.
Posted by West, Monday, 13 November 2006 9:28:59 PM
Hmmph. When I saw the title, I assumed the article would be looking at how effectively Fielding has used the numbers in the senate to boost his profile.

Barnaby Joyce and Fielding are two of the most powerful politicians in Australia at the moment - Joyce, because he's willing to cross the floor and with the senate numbers it means he is a key player in negotiations.
Fielding is capable of neutralising Joyce's power.

From my perspective it's a shame both of these players have such strong evangelical views, a more balanced status quo would be nice... if we had to have a rebel coalitionist, why couldn't it be a more liberal liberal?
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Tuesday, 14 November 2006 4:21:45 PM
Turnrightthenleft, yes it is a real pity that there aren't more liberals (labour or greens) in politics who seem capable of holding independent, perhaps even rebellious views. Why do liberals toe party lines? Isn't it ironic that the "evangelicals" who are supposedly incapable of thinking indepedently are the only ones who ever offer alternative points of views. Perhaps the liberals ought to engage in some self examination to abandon dogma in favour of real thinking through the issues.
Posted by etan, Tuesday, 14 November 2006 4:45:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy