The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Psychosexual treatment of Alan Jones relies on rumours > Comments

Psychosexual treatment of Alan Jones relies on rumours : Comments

By David Flint, published 31/10/2006

His hatchet job on a renaissance man does Chris Masters no credit.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
I love it. Every time Flinty bobs his head up, WHACK. Keep it up posters, maybe we can whack him to oblivion.
Posted by hedgehog, Friday, 3 November 2006 10:08:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PK,we are not all non-discerning suck ups who wait with baited breath upon all Jones' utterances.Just today he suggested that we should drop the company tax to that of Ireland ie from 40% to 12%.Now Ireland has been booming over the last 10 yrs when it invested in education and lowered taxes.Now if companies pay almost no tax,that means the workers have to pay for all the infrastructure,education and services,while the multi-nationals cruise the planet searching for the lowest tax regieme.The difference being is that Ireland has no natural resources to sell,so they have fewer options but they are close to an enormous European market.

Now Alan Jones also takes umbridge to the lowering of tarrifs for our farmers,the loss of IT jobs to India and the demise of our manufacturing.Global Capital without the moderating influences of Unions is just playing one country off against the other.What doesn't stand up in his argument is that if we lower company taxes to that of Ireland, we will have to increase personal taxes to pay for all the non productive pollies and their public servants.No one mentions the need to reform the size and efficiencies of our bloated bureaucracies.

Globalisation through the share market is condensing more wealth in fewer hands.There needs to be a better way of sharing wealth than through taxation and Govt handouts.Presently we are all slaves to the power of Global capital,we have flogged off everything Australian for instant gratification.Why not have a long term plan to create our own capital and be masters of our own destinies?

No I don't believe in a totally laisse faire free market,but I also despise too much Govt regulation and control.We seem to have a contradiction of international,preditor Globalisation,and domestic over regulation with high taxes.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 3 November 2006 8:35:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks, Arjay. I confess that I may have misjudged you and that you are in fact more open minded and less ideologically driven than I gave you credit for. So, where do you think a reasonable compromise between a totally free market and a command economy may lie?
Posted by PK, Friday, 3 November 2006 10:45:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We're off the topic so I'll be brief.All our international sports have a set of rules to make competition fair.International business in regards to employer/employee relationships or taxes they should be contributing to infrastructure have no such rules.People in poor countries have no bargaining power.We will see India take more of our IT jobs.With energy and resources getting scarcer and more expensive,only the really wealthy will live well.

Since we will have to develop international laws to save our environment,why not also develop international laws that will make the Multi Nationals more responsible in paying their employees enough to save and pay corporate taxes for education and infrastructure?Just a few basic rules without all the red tape will create this illusionary level playing field that the economic rationalists boast about.
Posted by Arjay, Saturday, 4 November 2006 10:25:35 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is interesting that Ireland is one of the fasted growing economies in the world It is also a signatory to Kyoto, and has one of the most centralised and regulated industrial relations systems in Europe.

Their system seems to work, but, alas, our is becoming dysfunctional and industries are actually leaving the country.

On second thoughts, one thing I will give AJ credit for is that I can't remember a time when he has mentioned a homophobic comment. Someone may like to enlighten my memory. Laws: yes. AJ: I can't remember.

Fint had one point that it is wrong to pick on flamboyant clothes and large personalities.

When those flamboyant personalities bully vulnerable people and do not respect privacy in the first place, however, this is where we have a problem with the need for privacy argument that Flint calls for.

We all follow the same standard rules and laws.
Posted by saintfletcher, Sunday, 5 November 2006 3:16:08 AM
Arjay - not in fundamnetal disagreement with what you say, but third world labour is at a severe disadvantage so any international agreements would have to avoid locking that disadvantage in. I'm not convinced that jobs going from here to India is all bad - as India becomes more prosperousw it in turn can make a greater contribution to world prosperity - what goes around comes around.

What about this - an international agreement to put a 1% tax (or more) on all money market transactions. The money goes into the World Bank for sustainable development projects. The tax might act as a deterrent to the wild money market speculation that contributes nothing positive to world trade or economics as far as I can tell. Any country that provides a tax haven for money market speculators suffers severe trade sanctions. Reckon it would work?
Posted by PK, Sunday, 5 November 2006 8:07:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy