The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Book review 'Vital Signs Vibrant Society': Labor can lead reform > Comments

Book review 'Vital Signs Vibrant Society': Labor can lead reform : Comments

By Corin McCarthy, published 23/10/2006

Craig Emerson is indeed one of the brightest Labor MPs and has a real appreciation for the market zeal.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Craig, how 'bout you pen a book titled "Repairing the Damage Done to Australia Over the Last 50 Years by Politicians".

I think it will have to come out in volume form. For instance, how can you advertise Australia as an open society when a high court judge can have his record sealed for thirty years. Not very open if you ask me.
Posted by Sage, Monday, 23 October 2006 12:45:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi,

Two comments on editorial changes to the version I submitted (which may be repaired):

In paragraph that says:

...I would argue the strongest reason to support his position is a democratic mandate that a parent - from (greater) earning backgrounds - may choose religious, non-religious, state or private schools more easily. Yet Emerson does not mark out this territory.

Can you change "greater" to "more" as it really should read that choice will be more available where as by using "greater" it could be interpreted as choice to the rich.

In the paragraph that reads:

Emerson does not in my view establish why the 40-cent rate should fall further from his proposed 36c and why the effective marginal tax rates faced by those moving off welfare require more attention than those earning over $70,000 a year.

It was changed from and should read:

Emerson does not in my view establish why the 40-cent rate should fall further from his proposed 36c and [in my view] the effective marginal tax rates faced by those moving off welfare require more attention than those earning over $70,000 a year.

Or it could say:

Emerson does not in my view establish why the 40-cent rate should fall further from his proposed 36c [or that the effective marginal tax rates faced by those earning over $70,000 a year require more attention than those moving off welfare].
Posted by Corin, Tuesday, 24 October 2006 10:42:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Education and health surely should be a priority for all parties?
Creativity and innovation I believe is founded there.

Work skills used to be the responsibility of industries and education that of government, and it worked. The push from industry to pass it's responsibilities for skills to govt. has brought on the skills shortage and some industrial problems, strikes thru shortage of skills. The printers union was the baine of my life once.

My life
While in year six, I was encouraged to sit an exam if passed would have got me a place in "Modern School". an elite read, school for the dedicated student, it was free to all comers. A second opportunity was offered in year nine. Your "advises" were the teachers who taught you and or your parents.
A lazy student, I chose "tech. high" but learned to envy my fellows who attended Mod and university, which was also free to those that had the best marks in the year nine intermediate exam, year nine.
Lack of good advice is hardly possible today, there are professionals.
At tech I learned tin smithing, blacksmithing woodwork chem. tech drawing and english was a compulsory subject. I was prepared for a blue collar work force, it was a good education for someone like me and I wouldn't have changed it for quids!

My industrial education was provided by an employer, an apprenticeship. The industry got cheap labour 28/6 shillings first year. I got an education which interested me, the industry confirmed its future.
Better still Mod school ensured my wellbeing by sorting me, and so allowing the dedicated, to learn what ensured we all had a future.
Too simple perhaps?
fluff
Posted by fluff4, Friday, 3 November 2006 10:09:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy