The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > North Korean bomb test benefitting Bush? > Comments

North Korean bomb test benefitting Bush? : Comments

By Peter Coates, published 11/10/2006

October 9, 2006 is a sad day for all if North Korea's nuclear weapons test is authentic. A new regional arms race looks set to start.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Somehow I think I can speak for the article’s author with a certain degree of confidence…

BOAZY

You’re clearly stirring. If Kim Jung-il did coordinate his helping electoral hand with the US he wouldn’t need an intelligence channel with the CIA. It would be a case of genuine US State Department people or US politicians meeting North Koran diplomats on Chinese soil. Quite simple really.

CARL

If you are a CIA agent we must talk. Bush, for all his tendentious naiveté is the master of spin over logic. He’ll exploit the “fear factor” to the outmost. Bold words, manly actions and the sight of aircraft carriers doing Top Gun stuff means votes in America.

CHRIS SHAW

Your doubts are well placed. As Peter implied in the article we need more evidence before a “nuclear test” is a cert. It’s a very difficult call.

The various US agencies, CIA, DIA, NSA and Department of Energy nuclear scientists need to come to consensus agreement that a nuclear event actually occurred. This Washington Post story indicates that in addition to sigint and imagery the wind needs to blow in the right direction for “sniffer” aircraft to detect the correct radioactive dust. As in sailing the right winds take time. A 500 ton equivalent blast like Divine Strake is being talked about.

JUSTIN B.

You may see me as a heretic but I think Australia should seriously consider having nuclear weapons if North Korea has them. Note that North Korea’s Taepodong series missiles will eventually be able to hit any city in Australia.

aka Spooky Pete
http://spyingbadthings.blogspot.com/
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 11 October 2006 9:50:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
aaah..now this is where the left becomes *surreal* :)

Pete/Planta..I include you in that mob at least for this topic anyway.

Chris :) you demonstrated that now matter how many facts slug you in the moosh... you will only ever accept them with kicking and screaming...if ever.

Pete.. can you please provide me a 'motive' or a benefit that N.Korea would derive from your scenario.. getting Bush re-elected ?

Thats what I mean.. its surreal already. I cannot for the life of me see any value to Kim in this, quite the opposite. The USA has already stopped the supply of heavy oil.

Suggesting that Kims agents could have met CIA on Chinese soil is making me think you have wrongly labeled your medication :) ummm 'why' would they ?

Marilyn and Chris harp on 'look at the timing' but I say look at the 'motive'.... Ok..Bush DOES benefit. But does N.Korea ? *think*

-Bush will never be re-elected
-This makes him look *weak* anyway.

This is benefit ?

Carl.. good to see you 'got' the humor in my post :)

MARILYN... you are very quiet out their girl... cooooooooooeeeeeee...
c'mon..give us ur take on this please. Tell us
a) Its all lies
b) Its a CIA/Neocon/Bush/Blair/Howard plot
c) Its our fault anyway.
d) How it proves we are wrong on Palestine.
e) how we are racist
f) How it shows our refugee policy is awful. (Perhaps our refugee policy CAUSED all this ?)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 12 October 2006 11:39:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Boazy

Sounds like you need to sit down and have a cup of tea mate.

You asked

“Pete.. can you please provide me a 'motive' or a benefit that N.Korea would derive from your scenario.. getting Bush re-elected ?”

I must point out that Bush cannot be reelected. The point of the mid term elections (7 November 2006) are to see if the Republicans maintain their majorities in both Houses of Congress. Naturally if the Korean crisis swings votes their way the Republicans will appreciate Kim Jung-il’s timing. Please read the Article which states “North Korea may be gambling that Bush’s bluster will dampen down after this election. By then North Korea,…will start to enjoy some subtle recognition from the US”

The recognition could take the form of scaling down or ending the sanctions against North Korea and increased opportunities for US aid and trade with North Korea.

You stated:

“Thats what I mean.. its surreal already. I cannot for the life of me see any value to Kim in this, quite the opposite. The USA has already stopped the supply of heavy oil.”

The Chinese are the main suppliers of oil to North Korea and can probably makeup for any reduction in US oil.

You stated:

“Suggesting that Kims agents could have met CIA on Chinese soil is making me think …'why' would they ?”

No I said agents were unnecessary. A meeting of bona fide diplomats/officials or politicians may have taken place. As the author said in the article the “Benefits Bush” theory is speculative. It would also be improvable but theories are useful in a vacuum of information.

I appreciate your efforts to rouse the masses.

Gamal Abdel Nasser would be proud of you ;-)

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 12 October 2006 2:12:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy