The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Protect the Kakadu of the deep > Comments

Protect the Kakadu of the deep : Comments

By Lyn Goldsworthy, published 12/10/2006

The mostly undiscovered worlds of the deep sea must be protected from the destruction caused by bottom trawling.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
I agree that bottom trawling, particularly in areas of environmental significance such as coral beds, needs to be halted.

I've seen some areas that used to be rich havens for marine wildlife completely destroyed by bottom trawling, leaving a sandy expanse with little by way of habitat for underwater species.

Now that being said, I wouldn't advocate the end of bottom trawling altogether - in the areas which have already been destroyed, and in the areas which have now been trawled for decades, I see little reason for halting the practice in areas that are now beyond repair.

The fact of the matter is, most of us want to eat fish, but we don't like commercial fishermen.

I'm in favour of very heavy penalties for those who trawl in sensitive areas, though I also think there needs to be a place for trawlers, or another practical way of fishing in sufficient commercial quantities needs to be encouraged.

At present, fishermen are already restricted from multiple areas, especially in North Queensland.
It's a good step, but we need to ensure we don't go too far.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 12 October 2006 10:21:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy