The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What happened to geography? > Comments

What happened to geography? : Comments

By Peter Curson, published 11/10/2006

Geography has also fallen victim to the post modernists and the deconstructionists who speak a language incomprehensible to the average citizen.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Hutak, great comments.

We have here another ignorant commenary from someone who does not even know what "post-modernism" is, let alone how professional geographers might be working to maintain the vigor of their field with notions like - horror - women, culture or society.

The germane points here are in fact nothing to do with "post-modernism" at all, but the far far greater dominance at universities and schools of the commodification of skills and learning, which means geography - traditional or otherwise - cannot compete with a commodified education imperative which says that hospitality or tourism is the thing to do.
Posted by mhar, Wednesday, 11 October 2006 5:07:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I didn't do particularly well in history at high school, okay, but not brilliant. I did do very well, however in the subject known as 'geography'.

At uni as a mature student 25 years later I found that geography prepared me well for history, which was one of my majors.

History and geography are hand in glove, there is no point in trying to learn history, if you don't have a basic understanding of the geography - the place in the world, and the place itself, where the history 'occurred'. Add to that high school geography, at least 32 years ago, contained a fairly strong sociological component and you will see why I consider that history and geography must be studied side by side, particularly when a measure of geology and some biology are thrown into this mix.

To understand the history of Australia it is necessary to have a basic, at least, understanding of its geography - both physical and cultural. The same can be said of the rest of the world.

One of the basis for understanding history is the ability to read a map, to see where the resources are, to see 'the high ground', militarily, politically and economically.

So yes, more geography should be being taught alongside history, or as part of a combined syllabus. There will be some conflict of course, as I remember that English / History teachers occupied one staff room and economics / geography staff occupied another, but these obstacles can be overcome.
Posted by Hamlet, Wednesday, 11 October 2006 11:15:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I found myself turned off from Geography by the year 7 sylabus in NSW when I was a distance education student. A dry subject taught by dry a poor teacher.

Years later I have become very interested in physical geography and meterology, and cultural anthropolgy, which surprised me. How could the subject I loathed in high school have become so fascinating later in life?

While I find that the authors argument that geography has become inaccessable due to "post modernism" flawed, and I see no problem with bringing critical thinking to bear on the subject, his argument that there is no champion of geography has struck a cord with me. Perhaps the high school geography sylabus may need to be reworked, not to remove any critical "post modern" components, but to make it more interesting to early high school age children. Stimulate and interest in youth and you can create a passion for life.

BTW: Right and Left = obsolete terms.
Posted by ChrisC, Thursday, 12 October 2006 12:41:26 AM
mhar, you bring into the argument about geography "women, culture or society". mhar, what about men? Or are men encompassed within "culture or society". And then, if that is so, then why do you exclude women as being different and not inclusive in "culture and society"?

Why do you hold them as separate?

Do you hold sexist values whereby women are not a natural part of culture and society, but are some sort of intrinsic alien or other, perhaps even some sort of enigma?

Why do you separate women from the entity of geography?

Even Oxford doesn't -

Geography from Oxford
http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/geography
"geography - noun 1 the study of the physical features of the earth and of human activity as it relates to these. 2 the relative arrangement of places and physical features."

Nope, Oxford doesn't specify women as being special or different to geography, so why do you?

Could post-modernism have something to do with this peculiar anomaly?

Perhaps it does. All should think about it in this context.
Posted by Maximus, Thursday, 12 October 2006 9:19:55 PM
My high schooling was in the 80's where Geography was an elective. I missed the 10 weeks compulsory study of this unit due to being away from school sick. I never studied geography.

I have had those who moved to Australia from overseas who asked why we don't teach geography. They were stunned and feel that we are letting those with a political agenda run our education system instead of doing what is best for the children and the future of a nation.

I agree.
Posted by Spider, Saturday, 14 October 2006 11:51:55 AM
History and geography belong together like time and space. Either one is pretty meaningless without the other.
Posted by Ian, Monday, 16 October 2006 12:10:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy