The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Breaking the disability deprivation cycle > Comments

Breaking the disability deprivation cycle : Comments

By Andrew Bartlett, published 6/10/2006

Principles agreed on to address the grave needs of people with disabilities still await action

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I can see where Aspro is coming from and there are many people who work for low wages
in organisations trying to help those with disabilities.
They do it because they feel it is well a worth while job.
They don't do it as charity they do it because it is a calling.

The government does have responsibility to support those with disabilities just like it supports those
who become redundant and are unemployed. Additionaly parents need relief and respite is needed otherwise the mental health system will
have to deal with the parents.

The problem however will get worse unless the government does something about groups who marry their cousins.
There should be a law that cousin marriage is illegal and should be a disqualification for migration if your parents are cousins or the
applicant is married to their cousin.

The Midlands health service in the UK has discovered that the risk of
genetic defects is 13 time greater where cousin marriages are involved.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 9 October 2006 4:44:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, gee, wasn't that a helpful intervention? What degree of cousinhood is acceptable? Second? Seventy-third? Two hundred and ninth, once removed? Might you be talking about the first cousin marriages relatively common on the sub-continent (which includes India - it's not exclusively Islamic)? If so, say so: don't drop those coy little hints. Hot damn, but don't Indians and Pakistanis seem to have thrived numerically in spite of all those birth defects? BTW, among christians, only catholics proscribe first cousin marriages. And I bet you find papists a bit suss, too.
Posted by anomie, Monday, 9 October 2006 7:24:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well the report did seem to be in regard to first cousins.
The British parliamentary members did discuss legislation and that
seemed to be only related to first cousins.

I have a feeling from the tone of your reply that you are skeptical.
Believe me this is no politically incorrect matter but indeed a
very serious matter, after all you are paying the bill.

Just in case you think it is an only in the UK thing the NSW Health
Dept was concerned about the number of births with genetic problems
at Auburn hospital. They sent a genetist to study the matter and she
found that by interviewing the mothers that a large percentage were
married to their cousins.

It does not matter what the race, this is a real and tragic problem.
What I find odd is that rural communities permit it.
Yet farmers know well the problems of inbreeding stock. Perhaps their
religion gives them the idea that it does not apply to humans.

I can't remember the links and they have long gone but if you go to
the BBC web site and do a search on cousin marriage it will produce
an item on the BBC documentary and that has links to the
parliamentary enquirey. Try the NSW Hansard for the Auburn report.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 9 October 2006 11:11:09 PM
No mention of where the money is coming from Andrew?700,000 on DSP,many of whom are long term unemployed ,alcoholics,drug addicts and lots of lay abouts who are just too lazy to get out of bed.
This is mainly a result of it being too easy to get onto Social Security.The result is that those who are in real need suffer,while the bludgers vegetate.

We can also vastly reduce the number of Pollies and Public Servants Andrew,and there would ample money for people in real need without taxing the tripe out of the middle and working classes.We are the most over Governed Country on the planet.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 9 October 2006 11:41:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay, you obviously have no idea at all of how HARD it is to apply for and actually receive DSP. Hell, I sat before a review panel appealing to have the DSP. I sat there is tears due to the pain I was in yet what did they write? So n So shows no obvious sign of discomfort or pain. They lied in other parts of the government forms as well so I could not get it.

If I took them to the Supreme Court for this payment, the government paperwork consisting of their lies is taken as truth in the court and mine are instantly frowned upon by the court and blissful people such yourself. Apparently, taking anywhere up to one hour to stand up and get to the toilet is NOT a disability. Not to forget the occasional fall, finding myself somewhere without knowing how I got there, etc. These are ignored by the government instead, saying that I have actually stand on my feet so I can work fulltime as a cashier.

Were I to lie on government forms like they lied on them, I would be up on criminal charges for welfare fraud. This government should be in prison for its criminal treatments of the people they are ment to represent instead of the foreign globalists who they crave attention from like an under favoured dog.

Bazz, you seem to think that all people with a disability is an inbred. Marrying amongst your own bloodline does not cause defects but increases your chances.

You should look into the chemicals being put into our foods and other products we use. Not to forget what's in the air. On their own, they are mostly harmless but mixed together it becomes a lethal combination. Just as a bullet and a gun is completely harmless until you put the both together.
Posted by Spider, Tuesday, 10 October 2006 1:05:46 PM
This is quite properly a highly emotional issue, and an intensely practical one too. Sowat replied to my provocative post by saying that government support for care for the disabled is necessary in order to prevent the chaos that would result were there no such provision.
I add, that such government support for the disabled is also a very moral and humane necessity and lack of it would offend all decency.
I am glad that $96 a fortnight allowance for carers, and $502 a fortnight for Carer's Allowance, is available. Whether these amounts are anywhere near what is really required is highly questionable.
But, again I ask, as a person brought up in a time and in a society when no such allowances were available, why do we have to bad mouth governments who are trying their best
Posted by Fencepost, Tuesday, 10 October 2006 7:26:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy