The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Man - it costs to be a woman > Comments

Man - it costs to be a woman : Comments

By Margaret Ann Williams, published 14/9/2006

Why do women feel compelled to spend on sequined tops, herbal spa treatments and Brazilians?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
"self improvement is masturbation,
....now self destruction......."

Fight club, Chuck Palahniuk
Posted by its not easy being, Tuesday, 19 September 2006 11:26:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Any generalisation is bound to be wrong. Spending habits and income are too individual to generalise, even for those with the same genes and upbringing. Most of my family and friends love shopping - I hate it! My husband thinks he's picked a winner - a wife that earns 3 times what he does, hates shopping and can be ready to go out with just 1/2 hours notice (it would take me 10 mins, but I've got a 1 year old to get ready too). On the other hand, one sister (who earns at least twice what any boyfriend has) takes at least 2 hours to get ready, and spends 2/3 of her income on "self-improvement" (clothes, hair, make-up). I honestly cant see any nature OR nurture element to it. Wastefulness (which is really what is being discussed here)seems to be a random phenomenon. Most of us (and the rest if they opened their eyes), can see that plenty of women blow their money on consumer goods, and so do plenty of men (they just TEND to be different items). Clothes, hair, beer, smokes, gifts, fishing accessories, the list can roll on and on. There is no difference to the underlying habits, just that they tend to manifest in different ways. Leave them to it - its their life!
Posted by Country Gal, Wednesday, 20 September 2006 1:26:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
.As I was questionning a girlfriend on her beauty standards , she told
me than grooming wasn't for men , but for other women , some sort of
female macho dressing !does it ring true to the sisters ?
Posted by randwick, Wednesday, 20 September 2006 4:30:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy