The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > God and the Democrats > Comments

God and the Democrats : Comments

By Ted Witham, published 5/9/2006

In most government schools today, the critical teaching of 'world religions' is taught poorly, if at all.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Runner
>>Secular religion<< is this an oxymoron or a contradiction?

Our personal vacuum can be filled by a philosophy which condemns greed and anger (based on ignorance).

When we stop seeking the aggrandisement of our egos we will find happiness.
Posted by fdixit, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 4:55:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
fdixit

Who is to say that greed and anger is bad? One person says abortion is murder another does not. You say 'Our personal vacuum can be filled by a philosophy which condemns greed and anger (based on ignorance).' Ignorance of what?

Depending on what a person's defintion of religion will determine whether secularlism is a religion. Many evolutionist are just as dogmatic as creationist even though neither belief or theory can be proved by true science.

You say 'When we stop seeking the aggrandisement of our egos we will find happiness.' Depends largely on what you define as happiness. Different things make different people happy.

I personally think what will make people happy is when they are at peace with God and at peace with their neighbour. This is made possible by Jesus Christ.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 5:18:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Runner
If everything depends on how you define things there is no point to discussion.
Posted by fdixit, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 6:51:10 PM
"I personally think what will make people happy is when they are at peace with God and at peace with their neighbour. This is made possible by Jesus Christ."

Strangely enough, Runner, despite thinking your god is a myth and your jesus no more than a historical figure, I still manage to live happily and be (at least most of the time) a decent human being.

Go figure.

Anth
Posted by Anth, Thursday, 7 September 2006 9:33:27 AM
I remember taking RE in one school I went to, and the RE lady spent a pretty good time trying to convince us that the Bible is not a reliable document (was written too long ago) but that we should try and believe it and go to church anyway. So my experiences of RE have told me it probably does more harm than good.

It's sad to me that many post-Gen Y (Gen Z ?) kids haven't got a clue about even the most basic tenants of Christianity. Some kids think Christmas is when Santa was born. Easter is a time to worship the Easter bunny. (I realise that Easter was originally a pagan festival, but it has been celebrated in its Christian context in Australia for generations.)

Young kids should at least know the basics of the Christian belief. Without being too political, our society was built on many Christian doctrines, and we should be able to acknowledge them if we want to have any reasonable idea of where we want to head as a society in the future.

The "Christian worldview" is being fought, for and against, in the media most days. Most OLO articles that mention some sort of Christian "hotspot" get over 100 posts within a few days. Do we want the 20 year olds of tomorrow not even to have a reasonable clue what is being debated, or why, and so, have no real reasonable belief on the subject?
Posted by YngNLuvnIt, Friday, 8 September 2006 9:27:50 AM
Religious doctrine should never be taught under a speartion of State and Church system. Nonetheless, the objective and forensic study of Religions would seem okay under philosophy, history and economics. Knowing the reasons behind why religions are fabricated/developed/introduced are important and need to be more generally known: A situation apart from religionism, agnosticism or atheism.

If we can move society from agriculture to market capitalism; hopefully, one day, we can replace externational superstition with an "unconditional positive regard" towards fellows which is self-generated and self-sustaining, without the need for external fictitious constituencies.
Posted by Oliver, Monday, 11 September 2006 4:34:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy