The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > War is tough > Comments

War is tough : Comments

By David Flint, published 30/8/2006

The US administration has kept their detainees, including David Hicks, according to Geneva Convention standards.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Get over David Hicks. At worst, he is a dangerous lunatic. At best, he is a complete idiot who brought all of his problems on himself.
Posted by Leigh, Wednesday, 30 August 2006 9:48:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David Flint refers to Changi, but Japan was not a signatory of the third Geneva Convention during World War II.
Posted by David Latimer, Wednesday, 30 August 2006 10:32:06 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David Flint seems to have an unhealthy obsession with authority figures. The queen is some kind of major deity, Alan Jones is an angel, and now the US administration is faultless. Snivelling toady anyone?
Posted by chainsmoker, Wednesday, 30 August 2006 10:37:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You would think Flint's time with the press council would give him a little more healthy scepticism of the official government line.

My issue isn't with how the US government is treating people in Guantanamo, my issue is the fact that we don't know what they're getting up to, and they have been holding people for years without trial.

You can't do that. The 'just trust us' line is growing really old. I don't trust them, and they haven't given me any good reason to.

What I really don't like is when people such as flint say that a secretive government is justified.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 30 August 2006 11:13:27 AM
Oh Please,

Where did Flint come from!?

As mentioned above, Japan was not signatory to the Geneva Convention in WWII. Still, war crimes were committed and legal prosecutions and execution of offenders did occur.

Hicks is not being held in accordance with the Geneva Convention and Never has been. That is why he was categorised as a "Non-Lawful Combatant". Isolation, torture - include food and water deprivation are certainly not acceptable under the Convention.

You do not put on trial POW's! You can hold them on your own soil - unlike Hicks that would be freed the moment he touched real American soil - ironically by the FBI.

Bush, and his lackeys like Flint have got to do better than "We were never at war with Eurasia" (Orwell - "1984").

Fair Dinkum
Posted by Narcissist, Wednesday, 30 August 2006 12:24:59 PM
At least Ted Lapkin was willing to address this issue honestly (wrongly but honestly in my opinion).

David Flint is muddying the waters, Ruddock's got a consulting job going maybe.
Posted by Steve Madden, Wednesday, 30 August 2006 2:05:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy