The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Universities: getting the private sector to ‘buy-in’ > Comments

Universities: getting the private sector to ‘buy-in’ : Comments

By Sebastian De Brennan, published 29/9/2006

Australian universities must do better in terms of their community engagement.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Oliver,

Do I detect a real story here?

Trouble is, if the "system" is as bad as you say, who would listen or care?
Posted by Iluvatar, Friday, 6 October 2006 6:19:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Iluvatar,

I have tried to gain support/acknowledgement, taking the approach of writing to concerned parties. But as you allude to, concerned party is double-speak for unconcerned party. They don't care.

There is a big storey, here. I didn't tell half of it.
Posted by Oliver, Sunday, 8 October 2006 7:16:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sebestian,

University VCs and deans often have little real business experience, inclusing those elected in the business school. You cite UWS worthy of support, but it lost two million dollars and has a further 2.7 million dollars of assets at risk (The Australian, H.E. section). Where were the Directors' guarantees? ... Banking 101, to a practitioner.

Why do universities need a full administration centre at every univeristy location? By way of comparaision, banks operate exchanges collectively, and Charge Card Services acted on behalf of all Banks, before Westpac pulled-out.

1. Universities don't need all their clerical roles duplicated at over forty centres. Instead, all is required are say a few centres, and perhaps a few support staff at various locations. Universities could be given processing designators, like the BSBs on the bottom of cheque forms. Centralised processing would say millions.

2. Halve the number universities and have morecampuses, thus doing away with layers of top management everywhere. Let the executives go, or give them the opportunity to go back into research.

Why should eficient business cover the inefficient operations of universities? The AVCC can't feel all that cash tight, as it was reported (The Australian), the AVCC just spent up big on banquet to mark its restructuring.
Posted by Oliver, Monday, 9 October 2006 2:05:02 PM
Think I am talking to myself?
Posted by Oliver, Tuesday, 10 October 2006 10:20:08 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy