The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why is petrol so expensive? > Comments

Why is petrol so expensive? : Comments

By John Mathews, published 8/8/2006

Australia, as a member of the 'Coalition of the Willing', cannot escape the consequences of its actions in Iraq - rising oil prices.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I can't help laughing at most of the posts so far. Why can't you idiots realise that our petrol is nearly the cheapest in the world? I am about to go to Europe for a few months, and petrol there is about $2.70 per litre! Wake up! The only sane person I have read on this subject recently was one who said that in a few years time we will all look back nostalgically to the days when petrol was only $2 per litre!

What should happen is that the government should INCREASE taxes on petrol to the european level, to discourage use. The idiots who use 150 or more litres a week are simply going to have to change their lifestyles, or go broke. It is obvious, (but no politician will tell you) that there needs to be a substantial cut in the standard of living.

Back to public transport, kids walking to school, etc., just as we did in the 1940's. We seemed to be quite happy then, and had more exercise.
Posted by plerdsus, Tuesday, 8 August 2006 5:50:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Does it really matter who is to blame for rising fuel prices?

The important thing is that the supply / demand ratio is the bottom-line driving factor, with ever-rising demand and currently +/-stable but soon to fall supply rates.

That’s all we really need to know.

So let’s take up Howard’s call for “an all-out energy debate in Australia”.

And let’s make sure that we the people get him and this conservative government to take an energetic pro-active stance on it, as if the very coherence of our society depended on it….. because it does.
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 8 August 2006 9:41:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My partner and I own pushbikes and have saved thousands of dollars as a result of using these fuel-free vehicles wherever practical. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. Good luck with your fuel debate. Shonga - when are you going to be back on msn?
Posted by tubley, Wednesday, 9 August 2006 12:37:56 AM
Mr Jackmanson: 'The US invaded Iraq because it had to'? I challenge you to reconsider. The concept of 'democracy' is not mutually exclusive to the ideals of freedom. We claim to own this so-called freedom simply because we're democratically governed. But tell me one democratic society that hasn't seen intolerable corruption, the hypocrites that we are.

The price of freedom is responsibility and a responsible nation is an intelligent and ethical one that uses diplomacy, not war, to maintain or restore peace. Brains and integrity over military might is the only long term solution.

Even if this particular war can be justified on some level, have you not informed yourself about the accounts of how the US military has conducted itself over the duration of the war? Direct, malapologetic violations of the Geneva convention and appalling all-round conduct from people who care more about 'killing the enemy' than they do about restoring peace.

Thousands died in the 911 attacks, yes we 'get that' by now. But how many people from Westernised, supposedly civilised nations, have died in their own country through insufficient law enforcement, lack of medical attention and token education systems that produce ignorance and stupidity instead of informed, active citizens? How many people are rotting away in our prisons because society doesn't know what else to do with them? How many people are blowing each other's brains out each day in developed nations? How many people are being bashed and raped? We, as a 'coalition of the willing' inflict more terrorism on ourselves than we do off 'others'.

Please tell me how one is supposed to achieve peace through killing women and children like gutless cowards - oh no, this is the part where you put it back on 'the enemy' - but 'they' did this and 'they did that'. Sounds a lot like the schoolyard bully trying to account for his own behaviours through focusing on the wrong-doings of others. Remember the US has been involved in just about every war in the history of their nation - they even waged war on themselves. Think about that.
Posted by tubley, Wednesday, 9 August 2006 1:24:04 AM
What a revolting comment.

"The US invaded Iraq because it had to. "
David Jackmanson

Hang on, the more I think about it, the more you are right.

ameriKKKa had to invade Iraq for these reasons:

* ameriKKKa is a war mongering nation that believes it is above international law.

* ameriKKKa has a multi-billion dollar investment in war-mongering it needs to protect through usage

* ameriKKKa is running out of previously plundered natural resources to feed it's unsustainable thirst for oil

I'm old enough to remember the first time Iraq got beaten up by ameriKKKa, I also remember the jump in petrol prices to pay for that particular armed conflict.

Figure it out, ameriKKKa is evil, racist and plain crappy.
Posted by generic_hippie, Wednesday, 9 August 2006 7:37:44 AM
Wobbles,

I noted your suggestion that fuel politics were directly or indirectly involved in almost all conflicts in the 20th century. I would ask you to prove this in relation to:

1/ The Boer War
2/ The First World War
3/ The Second World War
4/ Korea
5/ Vietnam
6/ Confrontasi (Malaysia (Cth v Indonesia))
7/ Pakistan v India wars
8/ Falklands
9/ 1982 Lebanon
10/ Japan v Russia
11/ Japan v China
12/ Japan v Korea (Manchuria)
13/ Russia v Afghanistan
14/ US v Afghanistan

Face it, more wars are and have been fought over the availability of metal ores and steel than oil. Likewise the premise of this article is fallacious insofar as it neglects to point out that the prices of many commodities have risen steadily during the same period due to an exponential increase in demand from China (especially), whose growth exceeds 10%/annum.

This same demand has forced oil higher, especially as China and the resurgent Russia have cornered the Iranian supply of Oil in return for arms and a nuclear reactor. Please feel free to suggest that the price of oil is solely reliant upon the actions of the US/Australia/Israel, but do try to base your argument in fact not fiction.

Inshallah

2bob
Posted by 2bob, Wednesday, 9 August 2006 12:52:52 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy